Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Tuesday's Thoughts ~ Messy Ministry

When I get to Colorado - I have a lot of trouble remembering what day it is!  Monday just passed me by, so I thought I would sit down today and write down a few thoughts.

I'm reading in the gospel of Mark right now.  I just love watching Jesus in His day to day.  Such remarkable and practical lessons for each one of us.  Mark 2:13-17 was my focus and this is what jumped out to me ~

It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick.  
I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners.


Ministry is messy.

There, I said it.

It is the truth.

Ministry was messy when Jesus walked the earth and it is messy now. People that are sick need care.  People that are emotionally distraught need comfort.  People that are mentally exhausted need peace.  People that are spiritually depleted need faith.  

Jesus spent a lot of very long days ministering to the needs of the masses.  On top of that, He was trying to train a rowdy group of 12 to continue sharing the gospel after His death and resurrection.  To say that most of the people around Him didn't "get it" would be an understatement!

Jesus spent a lot of time being misunderstood and His actions misinterpreted.  If He hung out with sinners, He was judged by the religious.  If He healed someone on the Sabbath, He was considered to be breaking the law.  

Does the messiness of ministry ever just exhaust you?

Are you sometimes misunderstood or misinterpreted? Criticized?    
Talked about? 
Worn out?  
Discouraged?

I have certainly felt this way at times, but that feeling always points me straight to Jesus.  

If I am exhausted, then I must count on His sufficiency.  

If I wonder what kind of a mess I have gotten myself into, I am reminded that He orchestrates my days.

If I have no idea what to say or even how to begin to offer comfort, I am reminded that He is the God of all comfort.

If I am witnessing the lowest of lows and the heights of anxiety in the life of someone I love, I am reminded that Jesus, Himself, is Peace.

How good of God to show us that ministry is messy through the earthly life of Jesus.  We see Jesus serving, loving, caring, confronting and being utterly dependent on the Father for every word and ounce of strength that would be called upon.  

Ministry will always be messy because we are a sinful bunch.  We are sick and we need a Savior.  Jesus has paved the way for us to be His hands and feet during our brief stay on this earth.

Look at the heartache behind every need.  

Sin is the qualifier . . . 
not the obstacle.

Jesus did not come for the righteous, 
but for the sinner.

He came for me.

He came for you.

What a privilege to love on others in His Name.

Ministry is messy, indeed.  

What a lovely mess.


No comments:

Post a Comment