Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, July 8, 2013

Monday Musings ~ Sons of Thunder

This has been a week where I look back at my journal and I could write 4 blog posts - at least!  I love it when the Lord opens my eyes and teaches me so much in a week.  What a rich time.  I finally landed on a passage from Mark 3.

Jesus climbed a mountain and invited those he wanted with him. They climbed together. He settled on twelve, and designated them apostles. The plan was that they would be with him, and he would send them out to proclaim the Word and give them authority to banish demons. These are the Twelve:
Simon (Jesus later named him Peter, meaning “Rock”),
James, son of Zebedee, John, brother of James (Jesus nicknamed the Zebedee brothers Boanerges, meaning “Sons of Thunder”), Andrew, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew,Thomas, James, son of Alphaeus,Thaddaeus, Simon the Canaanite, Judas Iscariot (who betrayed him).

This is an account of Jesus calling His twelve disciples - the men He would spend the majority of His time with and train to lead the emerging church.  This is an important list!  When I was reading through this, I was struck by the nicknames given.  Simon's name is changed to Peter, meaning "rock" and James and John were given the nickname, "sons of thunder."

If I was leading a small group of youth, I would have had the "sons of thunder", I guarantee you and I would have LOVED them.  My favorite.

There is something so powerful about a stormy sky!

I love that Jesus used nicknames.  There is something really endearing about that.  He could look at James and John and call out their boisterous personalities -- this thunder that would rumble throughout the ages as a call for others to follow Jesus.  

I think that thunder is an amazing sound.  It speaks of power.  It rumbles in the distance and as it gets closer, it roars and shouts to get our attention.  The accompanying rain and lightening add to the symphony of sound.  It stirs everything up and brings about change as a result of its presence.  

This was true of James and John, as well.  We know a lot more about John as he lived the longest life of all of the disciples.  He continued to be a powerful influence in the church.  We see his tenderness along with his thunder as he addresses his flock as his "beloved" over and over again.  His letters and the book of Revelation show this amazing combination of rumbling thunder and booming thunder!

So - I asked the Lord - what is my nickname?  

What immediately came to mind was 

"daughter of grace."  

Grace is absolutely my favorite word and my identity is very wrapped up in God's grace.  Along with daughter of grace - I'd love to be a messenger of mercy.  

What is your nickname?

I would love for my life to demonstrate that I am a daughter of grace.  I long for my words and actions to be an extension of God's grace to others.  Even when I stumble and fall - grace prevails.  

May my name and your name 
ring true with resounding thunder.

No comments:

Post a Comment