Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Thankful Thursday ~ Fulfillment

I was reading Psalm 4 this week and it seemed an apt description of what we see all around us today.  Apparently, things haven't changed a whole lot since the time of David.  Actually - things have changed, but people have not!  In verse 3, it says:

How long will you love what is worthless and aim at deception?

This verse is a picture of what I see day in and day out - proudly displayed in my Chicago neighborhood and in our culture todayI can not even tell you how much brokenness I have seen in the last 3 years.  How much time and energy do we put into things that are worthless and how vulnerable are we to deception? 

Proverbs 12:11 tells us that "He who pursues worthless things lacks sense."

Deception . . . it is everywhere.  What is considered fun ~ right ~ acceptable ~ good ~ worthwhile ~ it boggles my mind.  Lives are filled with emptiness, much like a helium balloon.  It looks pretty and for awhile, it floats in a celebratory way. 




But . . . it can't last.  It begins to deflate and the true nature of it becomes apparent.


 Or, perhaps something happens and it pops.  The delusion is revealed and we are left just holding a string.


The good news is that we do not have to live this way.  Ephesians 2:10 says:

For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

Matthew 6:33 says:

But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

I looked through my Bible to see what we are supposed to pursue. 
We are to pursue:

justice

peace

righteousness

loyalty

love

godliness

faith

perseverance

gentleness and

sanctification

When we pursue the things of God, we will find fulfillment as we follow His lead.

I am so thankful that I don't have to lead an empty life.   I am thankful that I have the truth of God's Word to alert me to deception.  I am thankful for LIFE.

What are you pursuing?



No comments:

Post a Comment