Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, July 15, 2013

Monday Musings ~ That sinking feeling

Don't rock the boat . . . we are in the same boat . . . whatever floats your boat . . . row, row, row your boat . . .

"Then He got in the boat with them and the wind stopped and they were utterly astonished."  Mark 6:51

The disciples had gone ahead of Jesus to cross the Sea of Galilee.  A storm came up suddenly and they found themselves in a frightening situation.  They were straining at the oars, trying to keep the boat afloat, when they see Jesus walking on the water about to pass them up!




What?

Oh yeah, Jesus was fully God and fully human.

They call out to Jesus and He steps into the boat and all is calm.

Just like that -- all is calm.



What kind of boat do you find yourself in?

Are your seas calm or stormy?

Are you straining at the oars?

I can choose to struggle on my own, insisting that I can right the boat on my own OR I can choose to invite Jesus into that boat and allow Him to take control of that boat. 

I am very limited   ~  He is not.

My strength wanes  ~  His does not.

I can't bale water fast enough ~ 
He banishes the water from the boat.

I can't see beyond the waves ~ 
He is the Master of the waves.

When I was thinking about the boats that I try desperately to keep afloat -- I thought of the boat of my future -- the boat of my children -- the boat of ministry -- the boat of relationships -- the boat of my shortcomings and failures and even the boat of my hopes and dreams.  Sounds like I have a harbor full! 
 
I choose to allow the Lord to come on board and calm the seas. 

“Now then, Pooh," said Christopher Robin, "where's your boat?"
"I ought to say," explained Pooh as they walked down to the shore of the island, "that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends."
"Depends on what?"
"On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it.”
 
A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh  

 I'm going to allow the One who walks on the water - the One who calms the seas to direct my boat.  I'd much rather be on top of it than underneath it.

How about you?





No comments:

Post a Comment