Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Thankful Thursday - Women

I just have to honest . . . I love men.  Seriously - I chased my first boyfriend in kindergarten and I have loved boys ever since.  That being said, there is just something about women friends that is just balm to my soul.  I love making new friends, spending time with long time friends and everything in between.  I have never had any success setting up couples - but I'm good at introducing friends to friends and nothing brings me more joy than to see those friendships grow.  


I got to go to the "mom's" group today.  It is made up of several women from church and a few other women that are friends with someone in the group.  I took my neighbor today with her baby Hannah.  It was so much fun!  We went to a park and the kids played and the women talked.  Michelle really enjoyed everyone.  It was just such a sweet time to share life with these women.  They are such an encouragement to each other.


Here are a few things I've learned over the years about nurturing our friendships with other women:


*Be an initiator - If you want to make friends, you very well may need to make the first move.  If you find yourself drawn to a particular woman, ask her to go to coffee or out to lunch.  

*Start in the middle - I've moved quite a bit - so I never assume I'm going to be somewhere for a long time.  So - I start in the middle!  Share something important even in that first conversation.  For me, I try to share something about my faith and my family.  I'm not much for small talk!


*Listen carefully.  By really listening to what someone else says, you learn about what is important to them and learn about the things they like and don't like.  You can learn how to best encourage that person.


*Give them lots of freedom.  Women can tend to get territorial about their friends.  It's not pretty - but it is true.  Give your friends the freedom to make other friends and spend time with other people.  It is healthy for the both of you.  No one can be everything that someone else needs.


*Express your appreciation for who they are and what their friendship means to you.  Everyone likes to know they are loved and we too often hold those comments inside.  Go ahead!  


*Introduce people you like to each other.  Before you know it, you will have a great group of friends who also enjoy each other.  This makes for some fun gatherings.


*In closing:  Be slow to give advice - Be quick to listen - Never criticize another woman's children, husband or mother!  If they are complaining - just listen.  They will get over it but they might not get over your comment!


I am so thankful for the amazing women that the Lord has put in my life.  I am so very fortunate to know every one of them.  They add such richness to my life.  


Who needs you to be their friend?  What is holding you back?


*INITIATE * INVITE * INVEST*

2 comments:

  1. Great post...great wisdom....enjoyed getting to know my cousin, a joy I haven't had in my old age.
    Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You pack a lot of wisdom in a few short paragraphs!

    ReplyDelete