Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Thankful Thursday - Heroes

Well - it seems I'm on a movie kick.  We went and saw Captain America tonight with some friends.  It was actually a very good movie. Who doesn't love a hero? They swoop in and save the day.  They make all the wrongs - right.  It got me thinking about the heroes in my life and how grateful I am for them.

There are many different kinds of heroes to be sure - some heroes have already left this world and gone on to the next one.  Some are in my life right here.  Here are just a few of my heroes and why I am so thankful for them.

My Mom and Dad - they are two of the most generous and kind people I know.  I have learned so much from them.  They are my heroes.

My friend Dana -  She is a school counselor and she has invested in countless numbers of students over the year.  Dana is also a daughter and she has a Dad that suffers from alzheimers. Dana faithfully drives up to her parent's house every Saturday to spend time with them and help out her Mom.  Dana loves her Dad and she loves serving Him.  She is my hero.

My friends Lynsay and Bill - they run an orphanage in Asia for children with serious medical problems.  They are selfless in their love for these children.  They are totally dependent on the Lord and trust Him for literally everything that they need for these precious ones.  They are my heroes.

Pete and Judy Obregon - the work with Medical Ministries International.  Pete left a very profitable career as a surgeon to use his gifts for missions.  He and Judy (who is  a nurse) travel all over the world to minister to those in need.  They have the kindest hearts - I've learned so much from them. They are my heroes.

Bob and Amy Little - they serve on the mission field in Africa.  I am always humbled when I read their updates.  They are so passionate about seeing their people group come to know the Lord.  They have made many personal sacrifices to follow their call.  They are my heroes.

James Gray - he is the principal at Hamilton Elementary here in Chicago.  He came into this school when it was literally on its way out.  He has brought it back to life - increasing its enrollment and getting the community involved in turning this school around.  He is selfless with his time and efforts to see this happen.  He is my hero.

Mike - Mike is my cousin.  He lost his battle with cancer yesterday.  He served in Vietnam as a medic.  It was such a hard place to be and he didn't talk about it a lot - but He helped save many lives and comfort those he could not save.  He was a great man.  He was my hero.  

I could go on and on.  There are many heroes in my life and I am so grateful for them.  What do they have in common?

Selflessness
Kindness
Humility
Generosity
Energy
Passion
Compassion
Obedient to their call

Who are your heroes?  Let them know.  Even heroes can use some encouragement.


1 comment:

  1. Hello, my name is Jonathan Varnold. I grew up going to a baptist church in Iowa and Bob Little was our pastor before they went on there mission trip. they have a son cayle and a daughter laura. I have been thinking about them lately alot and have not been in contact with them for over ten years. if you know anyway for me to contact them please let me know with an email. jdvarnold@gmail.com
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete