Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Monday Musings - Appearances

Alan and I went to see the last Harry Potter movie on Saturday.  Now - I know that people have lots of opinions about those books and movies - and that is not what this is about!  That is between you and Lord and I'm staying out of it!  The reason I mention it is because it got me thinking about appearances.

Three characters really struck me when I thought about what they looked like and who they actually were. 

*Voldemorte - He looks evil and he is evil.  Everything about who he is on the inside is very evident on the outside. 
*Severus Snape - He looks pretty creepy - but at times you are just not sure.  As the stories go on, he seems to be more and more evil, and yet in the end we find out that everything He did was for a good reason and ultimately to save Harry's life.
*Nigel - He is a very unassuming student who in the end, shows incredible courage and strength.  He really saves the day in many ways.

Now - if you are a Harry Potter expert, you might find flaws in what I am saying.  Stay with me . . . I do have a point.

When I was watching Voldemorte on the screen (which is hard to do - he is really nasty looking!) it got me thinking about what the world would be like if our character was evident on the outside of our body.  We know that appearances can be deceiving.  

What if they weren't?  

Now if you are like me, that might make you a little nervous.  Not everything about me is pretty, if you know what I mean.  Some things might look okay - but I would have to at the very least have some kind of big old ugly wart on the end of my nose - probably some kind of big mark on my cheek and possibly a few other things that would not be attractive.  On the other hand, some folks might come out looking really beautiful as their godly character presented itself in beautiful physical characteristics.

There was a movie that came out a number of years ago called Shallow Hal.  Again, everyone has different opinions about movies, but this one had a very interesting twist.  Hal was one of those guys that would not give the time of day to any girl who wasn't pretty close to a Victoria's Secret model.  In some supernatural way, suddenly, Hal only sees women as their character is displayed in physical attributes.  In his eyes, he sees an absolutely gorgeous girl and falls hard for her.  His friends can't understand why since she is not the typical knock out that he tends to go for - even far from it.  So - he learns in the end that beauty is indeed more than skin deep.

I just think it is an interesting theme.  It made me pause and think how really beautiful I want my character to be and how I want the Jesus in me to be evident on the outside.


Scripture tells us that we have beautiful feet when we share the gospel.
We are told that the Lord makes all things beautiful in His time.
We are also told that our inheritance is beautiful.
As our character becomes more like Jesus, our beauty grows.

So, spiritually speaking, are you beautiful? 
Are you willing to look at people for who they are rather than just 
what they look like?
If your insides were on the outside - what would you look like?

Just a few things to think about . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment