Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Monday Musings - Simon, Do you love me?

In my quiet time, on the 19th, I read John 21.  Verses 15 -17 really struck me - they are very familiar but God seemed to be pointing them out to me in particular.  So, I thought I would share what He was saying to me.

This passage has Jesus asking Peter a series of questions.  3 to be exact.  This took place after Jesus had resurrected.  He was with just a few of his disciples on the beach.  It had not been too long since Peter had denied Jesus 3 times.  That can't be a coincidence.  I believe that Jesus asked Peter this question three times as a picture of redemption to Peter.  3 denials -- 3 testimonies of Peter's love and obedience. 

Sin, shame and embarrassment - repentance, relief and redemption.

I've always loved that part.  I wonder if Peter would have been as effective of a leader without this particular encounter.  But - this is not what the Lord was speaking to me about this time through.  

I was focusing on the three questions  and commands - or maybe more accurately - one questions asked three different times and three slightly different commands.  I don't believe that Jesus wasted a word - EVER.  His time with His disciples was short.  There is something here for all of us.  John 21:15-17

15After breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?"
   "Yes, Master, you know I love you."
   Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."
 16He then asked a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?"
   "Yes, Master, you know I love you."
   Jesus said, "Shepherd my sheep."
 17-19Then he said it a third time: "Simon, son of John, do you love me?"
   Peter was upset that he asked for the third time, "Do you love me?" so he answered, "Master, you know everything there is to know. You've got to know that I love you."
   Jesus said, "Feed (or tend in my version) my sheep.

Tend my lambs
Shepherd my sheep
Tend my sheep

Now, I could read some commentaries and study the Greek - but I really just wanted to hear what the Holy Spirit wanted to teach me.  Here is what He pointed out. 
These statements are very similar, but there is a slight difference in each one that I think is significant.  

When I think of "tending to something" - meeting basic needs come to mind - such as food and shelter.  I think that tending is very necessary but it is also pretty basic.  Now basic is important. If food and shelter are not taken care of - all the other stuff is not going to matter much.  

Tending to lambs means a couple of things to me - tending to the young and tending to the spiritually young.  I need to make sure that the basics of food (real and spiritual) are met and that I can provide or am myself, a safe place.  Young in my life right now is typically young adults in their 20's.  There are some pretty special kids around that I can apply this to also.  I have cooked a lot of meals since I arrived in Chicago for a lot of people.  I love doing it and tending to these needs opens the door for a lot of great conversation.  It is a tangible way to love on others.

Tending to sheep reminds me that adults of all ages need tending to.  I need to love on my friends my own age just as much as the young adults.  I need to have them over and be a safe place to talk about what is going on in their lives as well.  The spiritually mature need love, care and encouragement too. What a privilege. 

Shepherding can really only take place after tending is taken care of.  In shepherding - there is also guidance, leading and protecting.  When I think about shepherds that we see in scripture and in many parts of the world today, I know that they tend to the needs of their flock.  That is a must - but they also lead them to good pastures, make sure that their water is safe and protect them from wolves or other predators.  They take care of their wounds and know them by name.  

Since arriving here in Chicago - the Lord has given me a flock to shepherd.  It is a rather eclectic herd and I love it!  He has given me women and even some young men to tend to and to shepherd.  I need to seek to meet their needs - feeding, caring and sheltering (being a safe haven and sometimes actually providing a bed!) and also leading, guiding, listening, teaching and praying over.  It is all encompassing.

Small groups are gearing up for the fall in a few weeks.  I'll have a group of women to love, teach, guide, learn from, take care of and completely enjoy.  I can not wait!  I also have neighbors to love on, a school to invest in and friends to care for.  

Jesus asks each one of us, "Do you love me?"
Tend my lambs
Do you love me?
Shepherd my sheep
Do you love me?
Tend my sheep

Are you up for the challenge? 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment