Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Thankful Thursday on Friday -- Friendship

Friendship - what a tremendous gift from the Lord!  God could have created us to only need Him or to be self sufficient to the point of not needing others - but in His wisdom He created us to be in relationship with Him and with one another.  


I happen to think that I am blessed beyond anything I could have hoped for in the area of friendship.  I have had wonderful friends as far back as I can remember.  One of the things I love about moving is  arriving in a new city with no idea who my friends will be -- and then watching God steer me one direction or the other and seeing all the people He puts in my path.  Who will my new friends be?  Who is going to change me in some way forever?  Who will I be able to love and encourage?


This week, I have had the privilege of having one of my very best friends here visiting me in Chicago.  Aimee and I met when I lived in Columbus, Ohio.  We met at church and we both worked with the youth.  We just have a great heart connection and love so many of the same things.  We both love the Lord, the lost and ministry of all kinds.  Aimee played a huge part in helping me raise my girls when we lived in Ohio.  She was another caring adult and good sounding board for them.  Her genuine love for them has had a lasting impact on both of their lives. 


I think the Lord knows how precious friends are to me and He is always faithful to give me close friends wherever I am.  I have lasting friendships from each city we have lived in.  Friends keep you sharp - they encourage you and challenge you.  They love your family and help you with your children.  They listen when you just need a listening ear - they offer words of advice and even the occasional snap back to reality challenge.  My friends make me better.  They call out the best in me.


When I look back over the last 50 years at all the amazing people that have been in my life, I could not be more grateful.  Being a friend and having a friend is one of life's greatest privileges.  I think we need friends who are younger, friends who are older and friends who are in our same season of life.  We learn so much from all of them.


Thank you for being my friend - for how very rich you make my life.  Thank you God for choosing to give me such wonderful friends who point me straight to You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment