Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Thankful Thursday - My Dad

It is so hard to choose what to be write about each Thursday, because I have so many choices!  Since I wrote about my Mom, I decided that I should give my Dad equal time.  I will be forever thankful that I had a godly Dad growing up.  What a difference that makes!  So - let me tell you a few things about this amazing man.


My Dad grew up in West Texas - born in Snyder and lived in Seminole, moving to central Texas when he was older.  He graduated from Flat High School with 3 other seniors!  He worked as an adding machine salesman and put himself through school at Temple Junior College and Baylor University.  He came from humble means and he worked hard to get his education.  He took a job with Arthur Andersen in 1956 right after graduation.  Now my Mom was a Baylor at the same time -- but they never met :-)  They met in church choir in Corpus Christi where my Mom was teaching school and my Dad was working on an audit (he was based out of Houston at the time.)  They married in 1958 and I came along in 1959.  I love to look at pictures of me and my Dad when I was little.  You can tell I adored him from the start!


My Dad worked a lot and traveled, but I don't ever remember him missing a big event.  He always made time for my brother and I even if it meant going back to work later or working at home.  As I grew up, I began to understand just how influential my Dad was in the lives of so many people.


There are a lot of successful men in the business world and there are a lot of ways to go about that - my Dad was a man of impeccable character and integrity.  My husband is the same way - gotta love that.  My Dad has a long and very successful career - 40 years with the same company.  This is admirable - but all that he has done since then is even more impressive!  Since retirement, my Dad has worked at Baylor University, retired again and been serving on the Board of Regents at Baylor.  He has such a servant's heart and is always looking for ways to help others.  He has poured a lot of energy into what he does and into those he loves.


When I think of my Dad, the word generous always comes to mind.  He loves to give to others, whether it is time, money or advice.  He is a tireless workhorse when it comes to helping his grandkids move in and out of their apartments!  He put my goddaughter through Baylor - something she could not have done without that help.  I will forever be grateful to him for that incredible act of generosity.  He has mentored so many people that I couldn't even make a list.  He is always ready to give a big hug, a listening ear and an encouraging word.   He is strong and he is gentle - a winning combination in my book.


Much of what we initially learn about the Lord comes from our interaction with our earthly father.  This is not a good beginning for everyone.  I know people that have spent years overcoming some horrible experiences with their earthly fathers.  I am so thankful that I learned early what a father's love and care should be like.  I think that is one reason that I was able to commit my life to the Lord at an early age.  I knew that a perfect Heavenly Father had to be wonderful because my earthly father had pointed me in that direction.


Dad - thank you for always believing in me and loving me in so many ways.  I am so blessed by you and so is the rest of my family.  You are my father and my trusted friend.  I love you Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment