Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Monday Musings - Faithful or Foolish

The more that I have been talking to people - the more I realize how foolish some of the things we have done in the last month must appear!  

*We made a move across the country away from our family, our close friends and our church.  To some - that is just a head scratching decision!  Why in the world would you do that?  
We are always willing to go when the Lord says "go" - we always have been and I hope we always will be.  The Lord uses Alan's company to move us around the country and so far - we have loved every minute of it.  Each place has been significant - each place has been home.  We wouldn't do it any differently.


*We bought a place in an area of Chicago that we knew little about.  We have been asked several times - why didn't you rent?  How did you know where to live?  How do you know you will like condo living?  
Well - we were prayerful about it, we looked at apartments to rent and felt like buying was the right decision.  We trusted God to point us to the area of town He wanted us to live in.  The decision was still difficult and we were a little uncertain, but the Lord has been good to affirm that decision constantly since we moved in.  We are exactly where we need to be.  I really never pondered whether I would like condo living - I just knew that I would love wherever I lived!  We do hear the boys above us walking around - it can be a little loud at times - but I decided that every time I hear them walking - I'm praying that they would walk with the Lord.  It has been good for my prayer life!  I love these boys too - so the sound of their footsteps is becoming sweet to me.
 
*You just moved here - how are you already having groups of people over?  
We have been here 4 weeks today.  We have had 4 parties Seems good to me!  I think that filling a house with people, good food and fun are what makes a house a home.  It isn't perfect - there are still some random things around and unfinished projects but hopefully that makes other people feel comfortable when they come over.  Hospitality is not about perfection - it is about the heart.


*You already joined a church?  Are you sure you looked around enough?  How did you know where to join? 
Having a church home is so important to us and the Lord knows this.  We also had some friends praying that we would find a church to serve in quickly.  Alan visited a church a couple of times when he was here by himself and we visited another one the Sunday before our furniture got here.  Our first week in the house, a friend gave us a print out of information on Lakeview (the area we live in) and there were some churches listed.  One of them was Destination Church.  I thought that sounded interesting - so I went out to their website.  It was just down the street from us meeting in a comedy club!  Now - I was really intrigued! The month or so before we moved here - the Lord spoke to Alan and I individually about our ministry here.  He told us we would be investing in young adults.  Well - this church is a group of young adults!  We left that first Sunday and really already knew that was where we needed to be.  The launch for this church plant is October 17th.  We are so excited to be a part of it.  Can't wait to see what God is going to do!

But how about that winter that is coming?  Yikes!  Aren't you going to hate that?
Actually - no.  We have lived cold places before and I actually love cold weather and snow.  I'm sure it will be uncomfortable at times - but so is a 106 degree day of a TX summer!  I think I'll just like all kinds of weather and roll with the punches.  We are already having some beautiful fall weather and I'm so excited about the leaves changing colors.  Bring it on!

When it comes down to it -- we all choose who to live our life for and how to live it.  We can live it for ourselves and call all the shots or we can give it over to the One who created us and knows the plan.  I decided to live my life for the Lord because He paid a high price for it.  It is His to do with as He pleases.  Along the way - this approach has brought me a lot of adventure and some heartache.  I would still choose it.  I trust the Lord - He has always proven to be Trustworthy is every circumstance.  Every  single day - we choose what kind of attitude we approach life with and it really does make all the difference.  I have my days when I forget that - when I get tired or lonely or sad - but on the whole, I have to say that I wake up with anticipation and holy expectation.  I am rarely disappointed.  I guess it is all in what we are looking for and in Whom we are looking to.

So, here's to adventure, to faith and to looking foolish.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so very thankful for you! I love getting to read this... I'm so blessed to be your daughter! God is so faithful and trustworthy... I have learned so much by seeing you and Dad live this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Hospitality is not about perfection - it is about the heart."

    couldn't have said it better myself. i agree and try to live this whole-heartedly in my home and in the spirit of you and my mom! :) there are some lucky peeps up there in chicago that will have you all. enjoy it. great post, and very telling of your spirit. beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen Sister (-in-law)!!!! God has been faithful over the years to you and Alan. And as I see it from my perspective, it gives Rainy, Kam and me a place to stay free in Chicago!!!! Go God!

    I went to your church website and noticed they meet in Comedy Sportz Club....we went to the Comedy Sportz club in Houston last Saturday night. Go God!

    I think it's appropriate you are now living in the "Windy City"...since the biblical word for "Spirit" can also be translated as "breath and wind". This winter when you feel the cold wind and see your breath in the air.....a great reminder the Spirit of God is with you. Go God!

    ReplyDelete