Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Monday Musings - Everyone Has A Story

I am one of those people that just evokes lots of personal information from people - seriously - I don't even have to ask!  It is also not necessary for me to know the person.  People just like to tell me things.  I have to say - it makes life very interesting.  I get to know the most interesting people and the phrase "never met a stranger" should probably be tattoed on my body somewhere.  Apparently this is genetic since my Mom and Dad have this same tendency as do my girls.  


Actually, I don't mind it at all.  I think that people's stories are fascinating.  Everyone has a story and I like to see what makes people tick.  At any given moment, there is so much going on with people that we are unaware of.  Some years ago, I had a friend lose her precious one year old to cancer.  I will never forget going to the grocery store after leaving the hospital and just walking up and down the aisle trying to figure out how I could go home and cook dinner as if nothing had changed when I felt like everything had changed.  No one in the grocery store knew what had happened - no one knew that I could erupt into sobs at any moment.  It just struck me that I had no idea how many others in that store could be going through something very difficult as well.


In some ways, that experience changed me forever.  I see the impatient driver, the rude salesclerk or sharp tongued check out girl in a very different light.  Generally, I believe that there is something going on under the surface and I want to show grace in that situation.  I have seldom had someone refuse to let me pray for them or encourage them.  Sometimes just showing interest is mind boggling to someone who feels like no one cares.  People are overwhelmed, sad, lost and confused.  As a followers of Jesus, we can offer peace, a way to make order out of chaos, joy, salvation and clarity by sharing the love of Christ.  This approach requires that we step back, get out of our "self" focus and tune in to what is going on around us - a huge challenge at times!  

I got to have three really great conversations with people I was just meeting for the first time yesterday.  I just asked a few questions and I learned a lot.  Who doesn't like to have someone show interest in them? I know all about the guy who installed our surround sound who immigrated here from Romania 10 years ago.  I have had so many people ask me, "Have you met your neighbors yet?" meaning the people in my building.  Wow - are you kidding me?  I had them over for dinner and absolutely love them!  


I will admit that talking to strangers is not natural for everyone.  Not everyone has the gift of hospitality or a listening ear - or even a schedule that lends itself to doing that.  But - this I know.  We all need to be aware of those around us.  We all need to be willing for the Lord to interrupt our schedule and put someone in our path who needs those very things.  We all need to look below the surface when others behavior annoys us.  We all need to be willing to listen, to slow down and to be used in even a small way to bless someone.  


Have you allowed God to reorder your day?  Have you had someone just start pouring their heart out to you?  If you haven't, you probably will!  How will you respond?  Are you just too busy or in too big of a hurry to slow down?  Are you so busy doing things for the Lord that He doesn't have much say so in what that looks like?  Are you remembering that being (abiding) is as important as doing?  Only by abiding will we be aware of these opportunities when they come.  Keep those spiritual eyes open and you will be blown away by the ways the Lord will use you to bless others.  Share your stories - I would love to hear them.  Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. I like this post. Actually I like all your posts. They are all awesome!

    ReplyDelete