Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thankful Thursday - Quincy

Lessons I've Learned from my Dog:

Celebrate Everything!
Quincy is just as excited to see me if I have been gone for 5 seconds, 5 minutes, 5 hours or 5 days.  Every greeting is as if I have been gone for a long time and we are celebrating our reunion.  Quincy gets excited to go outside, to get up on the bed, to get a treat and to even eat the same food day after day!  He loves when people come over and greets everyone as if they are the most important person in the world.  He always looks like he is smiling.  Even strangers can't resist smiling back when I am walking him.  He exudes joy.  Do you exude joy?





Get along with everyone!
Quincy is such a nice dog.  He loves other dogs and he actually loves cats - although they do not always believe this!  He was big buddies with our cat, George, that we had several years ago.  They would actually sit out on the driveway side by side.  He also loves people.  Quincy makes people feel special.  People are a challenge - but I believe that in most cases, we can figure out a way to get along.  Look for the best - choose to be kind and thoughtful.  Don't react - but act instead.





Only eat what you need!
Quincy amazes me in this area - maybe because it is such an area of struggle for me!  Quincy only eats when he is hungry.  He can have his food sitting in the bowl all day and leave it until he needs it.  If he does a lot of running or hiking and is extra hungry, he asks for more.  I don't ever have to worry about him overeating.  He exercises regularly and he eats right.  Hmmm . . . sound familiar?

Quincy knows how to relax!


Be present!
Quincy is very sensitive.  He knows when I am not feeling well or I am down.  He comes and snuggles up against me or sits beside me.  He knows that it is enough to just be there.  I think we could learn from that!  Maybe we don't always need to figure out what to say - perhaps just being present is enough!



I had not had a dog since I was a kid - so when we got Quincy 5 1/2 years ago, I had no idea how much I was going to love this little puppy!  He has been such a great addition to our family.  I am thankful for the gift of Him.  I think the Lord knew that when my nest emptied - I might need a little furry friend to live life beside me.  He is a faithful friend indeed and a good companion as Alan travels and works a lot.  So, on this Thankful Thursday -- I am thankful for my dog, Quincy.

 

2 comments:

  1. I am thankful for Quincy, too!!! I wish he was able to make little Quincy's, b/c I would take one in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know how much i love puppy dogs - and quincy is a special guy. gosh, they are the most loyal and faithful companions. great post!

    ReplyDelete