Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Monday's Musings - Ephesians 3

I love the book of Ephesians.  I have been reading through it this past week.  There are many things to write about, but I thought I would land on Ephesians 3 today. 

Paul speaks about his "stewardship of the gospel." What a powerful phrase! We are given the gospel to give it away wisely. How am I doing that? I always feel that I am not bold enough about doing that. But, I am seeking in my own way to dispense the gospel of grace by befriending, loving, hosting, listening and giving.  How are you handling your stewardship of the gospel of grace?

I also love how Paul gets so excited about being given the privilege of sharing the gospel with the Gentiles. We forget how very radical that was! God - the One True God - belonged to the Jews! They did not in any way intend to share Him! Going to the Gentiles was a precedent set by Jesus Himself and then the apostles (not without some issues!) carried that out after the crucifixion and resurrection. Paul was absolutely the most unlikely person to be chosen for this task - but isn't that just like the Lord! He loves to choose someone naturally ill equipped or unlikely for a job. His power and His purposes stand out all the more! Verse 12 reminds us that only because of Jesus -- we have access to God. Only because He chose to die for me do I have access to the Father.



So here is my all time favorite prayer in scripture (no offense to any other prayer!)
14 For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being (strength that is dependent on HIS riches - not mine!), 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. (Jesus lives in me - seriously amazing!) And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love (the foundation of everything else), 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ (still trying to grasp that one!), 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine (the Lord surprises me all the time!), according to his power that is at work within us (again - HIS power), 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

That is such a beautiful prayer to pray over others. Obviously Holy Spirit inspired and it also conveys the tenderness in which Paul views his flock. He loves these people. He wants the very best for them. He is willing to sacrifice and even suffer for them. How much am I willing to suffer for the flock that the Lord has given me? I don't think I give up a lot to do that.  I surely hope my heart is willing to do that when called to do so.  How much are you willing to sacrifice for the flock that the Lord has given you?


I would encourage you to pray this prayer over someone you know this week.  It will certainly be a blessing to them.  Every day in the Word is a good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment