Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Thankful Thursday: 30 years

Every year of marriage is a blessing and a testimony of God's grace - but there are those milestones that cause one to reflect and 30 years is one of those.

I married Alan Goad on May 22, 1982.  We were kids in adult bodies and we thought we were very grown up and wise.  We were about to learn that was not true, but the good news is we grew up together and have learned a lot along the way.

God knew what He was doing.  We are a good compliment for one another.  We often comment that we are just not sure what would have become of either of us without the other.  

Alan is practical where I am NOT SO practical.
Alan is quiet when I can be too chatty.
Alan is wise where I am sometimes clueless.
Alan sees the long term where I might get a bit too excited about something without taking in everything I need to consider. (Picture me saying that really fast)
Alan can often see to the heart of another where I can be taken in by outward appearances.
Alan can slow down and think when I am jumping up an down.

I am wholly optimistic where Alan can be pessimistic (or realistic, as he likes to call it.)
I can meet and engage just about anyone where Alan would prefer to be more of an observer.
I can often see the possibilities where Alan may only see the problems.
I can be very enthusiastic when Alan needs that energy.
I can see the potential in others when Alan sees the problems that currently exist.
I can stay up when he is bogged down.

Do you see the balance there?  We have often said that together - we make a whole, well rounded person.

We both love hiking, biking and being in the mountains.
We both appreciate the differences in each other and embrace them.
We both love to serve - whether it is in our community, our church on on the mission field.
We both love our family.
We both cherish our friends.
We both love to give of our resources.
We both value our friendship.

I believe that these things we have in common allow our differences to enhance our relationship rather than hurt it.

Most importantly, we both love Jesus.

Without that, I don't know if we could have made it through some of the rough spots. We made a commitment to each other before God and honestly, there are a few times that we simply stood on that and it was more than enough.

Alan is my best friend.  I admire him tremendously.  One of the things I love the most about this time in our life is that I can step back and truly see him for the man that he is.  Of course, he is a great father and a great husband, but I have to say that I just think he is a great man.  He is loyal, honest, giving and caring.  He has a heart to serve others.  He is funny and he is fun.  He is a man of integrity and godly character.  

He makes a difference in this world.  

He makes a difference in my world.

Happy Anniversary, Alan.  I am blessed to be your wife.

2 comments:

  1. wow, great post and congrats! and what an encouragement this was to me. you guys are such a great example for the rest of us!! thank you for your love for God and for each other!

    ReplyDelete