Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Monday Musings - Full Out Obedience

I'm reading through 1st Samuel right now.  I love these familiar stories - some of which I have heard since I was little - such as David and Goliath.  But in my reading the other day, I was struck by another passage that truly made me pause and think.


In 1st Samuel 15, Saul is given some very specific instructions by the Lord regarding a battle.  Saul proceeds to "kind of" do what the Lord asked him to do.  He obeys some of the Lord's instructions and ignores others.  He actually builds a monument to himself.  Samuel (the prophet) confronts him and Saul comes up with a list of reasons and excuses for his actions - even couching some of them in some "spiritual" terms.  This is the slippery slope we find Saul taking.


Disobedience --> Pride -->  Excuses -->  Lies -->  Punishment -->  Consequences

The real truth of the problem comes out in verse 22:

Has the Lord as much delight in burnt offerings and 
sacrifices as in obeying the voice of the Lord?
To obey is better than sacrifice and 
to heed than the fat of rams.

It is easy to judge Saul here.  After all, he was given a clear set of instructions and did not follow them.  Then he lied about it, made excuses and tried to soften the severity of his disobedience.  Then as a last resort, he groveled.  He suffered major consequences that haunted him for the rest of his days.

Oh wait . . . . . . . . .

He is so like us!  How often do I find myself believing that partial obedience is good enough.  How often do I justify my actions with excuses? I asked myself these questions, and I invite you to ask them of yourself too.

What do I offer as my burnt offering?

What do I consider my sacrifices to be?

Are they what the Lord has asked of me 
or are they of my own design?

How often am I unwilling to own up 
to my own mistakes and my own sin?

What are the consequences that 
affect myself and those I love? 

Saul wanted his love and service to the Lord to be of his own design - viewing the Lord's commands as more of suggestions.  He wanted to pick and choose according to his own desires.  He lost the Lord's blessing on his tenure as king. 

I want to love the Lord fully.  I want to offer up what the Lord asks me to offer.  I want to sacrifice what He asks me to sacrifice.  And above all -- I want my obedience to be pleasing in His sight.  

My obedience demonstrates my love for Him.



No comments:

Post a Comment