Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Thursday Thoughts - Setting Sail

My bible readings are starting back in Genesis for the new year.  I love to read the book of Genesis.  Since I grew up in church, these stories are stories that I have heard literally my whole life.  It is so fun to study them from an adult perspective.  There are so many layers of truth and so many examples of God's faithfulness in them.  I just read the story of Noah - very familiar - very challenging!

Many people know the story of Noah whether they study the Bible or not.  Nurseries are decorated in Noah's ark themes and there are ark toys with lots of little animals.  You can't really talk or think about a flood without that flood of all floods coming to mind.  

I have always loved this story.  I am inspired by Noah's obedience.  It is hard to imagine what it must have been like.  He looked foolish . . . for a long time.  He endured mocking, teasing and humiliation. 

I wonder if he said, "Really God?  
Are you sure about this?"

I wonder if there were days when he wanted to quit and yet he persevered.  It would have been so easy to give in to the voices around him.  I'm sure there are days when he felt like a complete idiot.  Yet . . . he kept going.

Gathering up animals of every kind and getting them into an ark would have been nearly impossible.  The scripture tells us that God brought the animals to Noah.  God made this happen.  God made this work. 

When everyone was in the ark - animals and Noah's family - God shut the door.  Really - scripture tells us that.  I think that is so awesome.  He went before Noah in the preparations and He brought up the rear, so to speak, by closing the door.  One of my favorite things about the Lord is that He goes before us and behind us.  (Psalm 139:5)

There were no instructions for a rudder on this boat.  I believe that God Himself was the guide.  He sent that ark on a path of His choosing - keeping it safe and secure to rest in its final destination.

 I love how personal all the interaction was in this story.  Noah and God were hand in hand.  As far as we know, no one had seen rain up until this point.  This was such an act of obedience and faith.  

What is the Lord asking you to do that seems impossible?

Are you willing to look foolish in the eyes of others in order to be obedient?

How have you seen God go before you and come up behind you as well?

How does this increase your trust in Him?  
Do you trust Him to guide your life and 
be your provision?

I do.  I am trusting Him for huge things in 2012.  I am believing that He will provide everything I need to accomplish what He gives me to do.  I believe that He is going to love people to salvation and a closer walk with Him through me.  I believe that He will challenge me, demand much of me and give me so much mercy and grace that anything is possible.

It is not about me.  
On my own, I am weak, selfish and sinful.  
BUT - with my Jesus, the impossible fades to the probable to the DONE.



No comments:

Post a Comment