Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Monday Musings - Help, I need somebody

I'm reading through Exodus right now.  There is so much to learn from this journey that the Israelites made through the desert.  And then there is Moses - a seriously amazing man, with a somewhat sketchy past (this endears me to him) who is given a seemingly impossible task to manage this rowdy group.  As we all know, anytime you are traveling with a group, there are problems.  There are people who go along to get along - people that are always unhappy with everything - people who complain about the food - people who are tired - and those that enjoy every little thing.  The most helpful people on any trip are the ones that remember the purpose of the trip and keep their eye on that goal.


In Exodus 17:11-12 we find Moses in this predicament:


Whenever Moses held up his hand, Israel prevailed, and whenever he lowered his hand, Amalek prevailed. But Moses' hands grew weary, so they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it, while Aaron and Hur held up his hands, one on one side, and the other on the other side. So his hands were steady until the going down of the sun. 

It is hard to even imagine how overwhelmed Moses must have felt!  The victory of this particular battle was dependent on his ability to hold his arms up!  Even those of us who have been working out would be put to the test if we had to hold our arms up all day.


In Exodus 18:18 and the following verses, we find Moses overwhelmed again.  Any time that the people had a dispute or were in need of advice, they would come to Moses.  I picture him with a long, as far as the eye can see, line of people with problems standing outside his tent.  His father in law, Jethro, gives him some very good advice to follow.


You and the people with you will certainly wear yourselves out, for the thing is too heavy for you. You are not able to do it alone . . . Moreover, look for able men from all the people, men who fear God, who are trustworthy and hate a bribe, and place such men over the people as chiefs of thousands, of hundreds, of fifties, and of tens. And let them judge the people at all times. Every great matter they shall bring to you, but any small matter they shall decide themselves. So it will be easier for you, and they will bear the burden with you. If you do this, God will direct you, you will be able to endure, and all this people also will go to their place in peace.” 



God sent the help that Moses needed in each situation.  When Moses grew weary, a stone was provided for him to sit on.  When his arms grew tired, Aaron and Hur held them up.  When Moses was overwhelmed with the counseling needs of the people, his father in law advised him to train and delegate responsibility.

I feel a bit overwhelmed right now.  I fractured a bone in my foot and it is keeping me from working out, walking Quincy and painting.  My heart is aching about a situation that a close friend is in.  In all these things, the Lord has been so caring and compassionate.  People at the schools have been so understanding and kind.  The Lord has given me encouragement and prayer partners to "lift my arms" in this emotional situation with my friend.  As my arms grow weary, the Lord sends people along side me.  He encourages me with specific scriptures and in Bible study.  He assures me that as I share His truth, He is at work.  I can rest in that.  I can trust Him.

Are you weary today?  
Do you need someone to come along side you 
and hold up those arms?  
Do you need some help?


The Beatles have long been known for their theology - okay - maybe not.  But this song kept coming to my mind:

Help, I need somebody,
Help, not just anybody,
Help, you know I need someone, help.


When we cry out, the Lord hears.  He knows every detail of our lives and what we are feeling, responsible for and exhausted from.  He not only knows, but He cares.  He walks these days beside us.  Matthew 11:28-30 says:

Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.

We were never meant to do it all, 
be it all or have it all together. 

Praise God. That is some good news right there.

He is ENOUGH.

His arms never TIRE.

His wisdom never ENDS.

His love endures FOREVER. 



1 comment:

  1. Any devotional thought that includes the Beatles is a winner in my book! I know God will continue to bring people along the way to "lift your arms". And I know that as your foot heals, your steps will be more precious than before. Know we'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete