Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thankful Thursday - Eternal Perspective

Sometimes, I see all the things that are happening around me, or I watch the news or see internet headlines and I am just overwhelmed by all the hard things that people experience.  It breaks my heart and I feel helpless.  It can all feel like a heavy burden.  So much sadness, so much grief, so much heartache - when will it end?

I was reading in 2nd Corinthians yesterday, and I was really struck by the hope in this verse (4:16-18)

Therefore, we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day.  For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal. 

There is no doubt that my outer body is decaying - things wear out faster and heal slower - but I just can't get over the joy of knowing at the same time -- my inner spirit is being renewed day by day.  Just as surely as I feel my aches and pains - I feel my spirit growing healthier and stronger.  The longer I live, the more in love I am with my Jesus and the sweeter life is.

When things happen that just make me gasp - I have to remember that this is not all there is.  Although our afflictions do not seem "light and momentary", the truth is that in light of eternity, they are.  I love that we are promised that these struggles and sorrows are producing in us "an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison."  What I see now - what I experience now - is temporary.  There is so much more!  

So today, I am thankful that in Jesus, I can have an eternal perspective.  When I feel discouraged or disheartened, I can say to myself ,"This too will pass."  

I can live out each day in the JOY that I possess in my relationship with the Lord.  Truly - walking each day with Jesus is my greatest honor and what I am most thankful for - everything else pales in comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment