Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, November 21, 2011

Monday Musings - How do you smell?

Aromas  - they elicits memories (cookies after school) - they arouse hunger (dinner in the oven!) - they can make us smile (greenery at Christmas) and they can even make us nauseated (that awful airport and bus smell).  Smells are powerful. Think of all the words that are associated with smell -- from aroma and fragrance . . . to stink and stench.   I believe that 2nd Corinthians 2:14-15 addresses this!

"But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place.  For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing."

So - how do you smell?  

Not that we are literally going to smell like Jesus - but that my life, hidden in Christ, draws people to Him - just like that smell of chocolate chip cookies baking or that brisket roast that has been slowly cooking all day in the oven or fresh baked bread.  People tend to gravitate toward those kind of smells.  

My life should carry the scent of my Savior.  How does grace, mercy, love and forgiveness smell?  I'm not sure - but I know it when I smell it!  Just as the stench of death is unmistakeable - Jesus is the unmistakable aroma of LIFE.  


We are assured that it is God who leads us in triumph - He is the One who manifest Himself in this "sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him".  There is not a body spray to buy or a perfume to dab on. No one can conjure up the aroma - only the Holy Spirit can do that.  

Join me in praying that the Holy Spirit will clean out the stench of sin from our lives and replace it with 

THE AROMA OF LIFE 
THE AROMA OF SALVATION 
THE AROMA OF JESUS.

No comments:

Post a Comment