Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Monday Musings - A New Path

I have several things tumbling around in my head, so I'm not sure what part is going to come out of this.  I have had so many interesting conversations over the last week - and there have been some common threads.  I think I'll explore one of those today.



There are a lot of people who have hurtful, even horrible, things in their past.  They often feel trapped by those things - doomed to repeat unhealthy patterns and make bad choices.  There are so many different stories here - I've heard hundreds over the last 30 or so years of ministry.  I have ached for the hurt, discouragement and wounds that others have experienced and the fear that they experience wanting so desperately to choose another path.  But . . . there is good news.  



"If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.  Behold, the old things passed away:  behold new things have come."  2nd Corinthians 5:17  This is true for every believer.  I heard a story last week from a sweet friend about her mother.  Her mother had a mean mother - her mother's mother had a mean mother.  Hateful words were exchanged and hateful words were passed down.  Encouragement and love were in scarce supply if not non-existent.  But guess what - my friend's Mom changed that.  She chose to love.  She had children and she loved each one of them.  She has encouraged them to pursue their dreams and be who God created them to be.  She broke the cycle of hateful words.


People who come from dysfunctional families have families that are loving, caring and whole.  People who grew up with abusive parents are loving their children.  People who are fearful become courageous.  People who are depressed find joy.  People who are self destructive find freedom and life.  


I have had this conversation numerous times and about numerous situations and it is TRUE.  As a believer in Jesus, you are not a prisoner of your past.  You are not a prisoner of a pattern in your family.  You are not a prisoner of your habits and mistakes.  You are not a prisoner or nature or nurture.  You are a new creation!


So, why do people repeat these patterns and stay in these places of destruction?  I'm not a professional, but from what I have seen, they do not believe the truth.  They do not embrace who they are in Christ and they do not live out that truth but they live out the lie that satan is so very happy for them to believe.  


I had a boy in youth group years ago.  He was just one of those kids that you wanted so desperately to see succeed.  His growing up was not ideal but his current situation was better.  His mom loved him - his stepfather was a decent man and he had siblings that he cared about.  He had been in trouble with drugs and alcohol but was ready to make a change.  And for awhile, he did.  He had some good months and I saw some changes take place in his life.  But it didn't last.  Before long, I was visiting him in his orange jumpsuit at a county jail.  No more juvenile detention center.  In some ways, he seemed to be broken and ready to truly turn around but he wasn't.  Not long after getting out of jail, I went to pick him up to go get some job applications and he was stoned.  I took him anyway.  It was a bizarre afternoon of nonsensical conversations and strange behavior.  I was heartbroken.  He eventually went to prison and is now out - but life is not any better.  

Why?  Why do some people choose to embrace what they have in Christ and others don't?  I sure wish I had the answer to that - but all I can say is some choose to believe who they are in Christ and live accordingly and some do not.  I don't mean to be simplistic.  I know that many situations are very complicated and there may be numerous steps to wholeness.  But I do believe that Jesus Christ wants everyone to be free from whatever imprisons them.  He longs for us all to be whole.  He came to set the captive free.  

Maybe it just seems too good to be true . . .


But it's not . . .


"You shall know the truth and the truth will set you free."  John 8:32


Believe it . . . Embrace it . . . Take the first step . . . Find someone to help you . . .  Value yourself as much as Jesus values you.  He died for you - live for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment