Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Monday Musings - Opportunties

Opportunity -- a scary and exciting word all at the same time.  Every time we have moved, Alan's conversation at work starts with the words . . . We have this opportunity for you.  

Well, really, every day is about opportunities.  They begin with the moment we wake up and don't stop until the moment we fall asleep.  I have had a week full of opportunities. 
     *I had the opportunity to exercise.  Now that is an easy one to decide against a lot of the time - but this week I took every opportunity to exercise.  I even went to a new boxing class at the gym.  It was tough, but fun.  It was also an opportunity to meet a new instructor whom I ended up seeing again later in the week.  His name is Chris - so it was easy for him to remember my name as well.  Those little connections make a difference.
     *I had the opportunity to hang out with friends last Monday night and have some chili.  Honestly, I kind of like being home on a week night, so it is a challenge at times to gear back up and go somewhere.  Glad I went.  I got to have a conversation with a young woman who is taking a step toward purity and marrying her boyfriend whom she has been living with for quite some time.  They are so excited about honoring the Lord with this decision. Where is the opportunity?  I get to host the wedding!  They are getting married in our house this Friday night.  I get to plan the dinner and make things special for them.  What a privilege!
     *I had the opportunity to hang out with some women at breakfast on Friday.  It was such a sweet time of fellowship and an opportunity to deepen and develop those friendships.  I left that breakfast just praising God for these new friends that are such a blessing to my life.
     *I had the opportunity to spend Friday with Beth  - my new favorite day - Beth Brown Fairweather Friday.  I love Beth - I love hanging out with Beth and exploring the city with Beth.  We rode a water taxi - we talked - we laughed. We get to share our hearts.  
     *I had the opportunity to spend Saturday with Ben Crill and his wife Erin.  I had Ben in youth group in Ohio years ago.  I can not even tell you how encouraging and wonderful it was to see Ben as a grown man, following the Lord and loving his wife.  
     *I had the opportunity this week to make an apology to my neighbor for an oversight on my part.  I inadvertently left the garage door open and she had a bike lock, a tire and an old bike stolen.  It was my fault.  I felt terrible.  Admitting you messed up is no fun but she was so incredibly gracious to me.  That ended up being an opportunity for a deeper relationship with her.
     *I had the opportunity to have some more neighbors on my street over this Sunday.  I only had 3 come this time, but I am so excited that I got to meet them.  Taking that opportunity will lead to more opportunities - even with those who could not come.
     * I had an opportunity today to meet with the principal of an elementary school near me to see if I could help.  I had been looking at the schools close to me to see which ones had the lowest scores, least amount of parent involvement etc.  When I looked at this one, they had a wish list and on there was the need for someone to do some painting :-)  That is as close to a neon sign as I am going to get!  He is so excited that I want to do some painting at the school.  I'm excited because I love to do it and I will love seeing the kids get excited when flowers, bugs, sports balls and some of their favorite literary characters begin to appear on the walls.  


Opportunities - sometimes we miss them.  We are easily distracted and we are busy.  Scripture tells us "Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." Ephesians 5:15-16


I have missed a lot of opportunities over the years.  I have also grabbed hold of a good many.  My goal from here on out would be to take every one of them!  It will take discernment, some inconvenience, some sacrifice and a lot of courage.  


What opportunities are you taking? What are you doing with them?  Make the most of them.  Be wise.  Be an opportunist - in the very best sense of the word :-)

1 comment:

  1. If this was a post on facebook I would press the like button :)

    ReplyDelete