Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tuesday's Thoughts ~ Bad Math

Alan and I are finding ourselves with an unexpected few days in Colorado.  We had a great time in Minneapolis with our sweet friends, Ryan and Alison.  They are friends that are more like family.  Oh, how I love that.



We left Minneapolis early Sunday morning and began our journey to Colorado.  Boy, was it worth the drive!  I am looking out at the leaves turning and the first dustings of snow on the mountain tops.  We are on 24 hour alert for Ashley to go into labor - but enjoying these fall days here until then.



I have been reading through the gospel of Matthew.  I had seen this phrase on an awning over a salon in my neighborhood a couple of weeks ago and when I was reading Matthew 6, it reminded of it and how far off from truth this statement actually was.

beauty = confidence = power

I stared at the awning from across the street.  I even wrote the statement down in the notes on my phone because I just knew it was going to keep coming to my mind and I wanted to be able to think about it.

I'm not knocking salons and I do feel great when I walk out of one, but this phrase gave me the shivers . . . unless I look at it through the filter of what Jesus has done.

Matthew 6:25 caught my attention as I was pondering this strange equation.

"For this reason, I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on.  Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?  Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap, nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not worth more than they?"

Isn't it hard to keep from getting all wrapped up in the basics of life?  Our culture has taken food, drink and clothing (the basic necessities of life) and elevated them to a whole new level.  Just take a look at the food network, the wine craze, the number of pubs in Chicago and the fashion industry.  We can be consumed by taking care of the basic needs on steroids -- even to our detriment.  

As I thought about that scripture and the equation that I saw, I looked at it in a new light.  

What if I took that phrase and thought about what Jesus has done?

Beauty ~ Beauty in God's economy is inwardly sourced and outwardly expressed.  

Proverbs 31:30 says, "Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain,
But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.

1st Peter 3:3-4 says, "Your adornment must not be merely external—
braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; 
but let it be the hidden person of the heart, 
with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, 
which is precious in the sight of God."

Beauty is so much more than a good haircut, a great outfit or even a delicious meal.  True beauty begins with worship.  True beauty begins with knowing our Creator.

Confidence ~  Confidence must be based on my identity in Christ.  I am often told that I am a very confident person.  Truth be told - I am not!  If you see confidence in me, it is just the exercising of faith in who Jesus says I am.  I am His child.  He loves and cares for me.  He has plans and purposes for me.  I am enough in Him.

If confidence is based on looks, possessions, status, success, parenting, relationships or any of a number of other things, it is simply not supported.  Any of those things could go at any moment, but Jesus remains constant.

Hebrews 13:8 says, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday 
and today and forever."

Power ~ The only true source of power is the Holy Spirit.  It is the power of Jesus dwelling in me to accomplish His purposes.  He shines through my weaknesses so that His power is evident.  If I am counting on my looks and my confidence to bring me power - what happens as looks fade and confidence wavers?

2nd Corinthians 12:9-10 says, "And He has said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.' Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong."

True power was modeled by Jesus as He served others.  

True power is confident enough to put others first 
and that, my friend, is beautiful.

beauty = confidence = power

So maybe, just maybe that equation could be 

redeemed 

if we look at it through the 

filter of the gospel.





No comments:

Post a Comment