Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, September 15, 2014

Monday Musings ~ An honorable man

Until last Thursday, my mother still had her 4 siblings.  They range from 98 to 79 (my Mom is the baby!)  They are a remarkable bunch -- Nell, Jean, Allen, Ruth and Ann.  Allen passed away last Thursday, just 9 days before his 90th birthday.  He had diabetes for many years and lived a long, remarkable life in light of that.  His obituary was filled with all of his accomplishments and acts of service.  He was a remarkable man by any measure.  I did not get to go down to Texas for his funeral.  I struggled with that all weekend but know that I can honor him and his memory wherever I am.



What an obituary can not cover is what he meant personally to so many people.  He was an amazing father - raising my wonderful, beautiful, amazing cousins - Leslie, Laurie and Meredith.  He was married for 65 years to my aunt Betty.  I have so many memories of spending time at their house growing up.  They lived on the same big lot of land that my grandparents lived on.  I could run from house to house.  I was always excited to see them all each time I was in Livingston.  He worked at the bank with my grandfather.  I loved to go to the bank and see them both.  They always welcomed me with open arms and made me feel very special and important.

My Uncle Allen always had time for me.  He wanted to know how I was doing and what I had been up to.  He genuinely cared about my life.  As an adult, I always looked forward to a chance to see him.  He had a remarkable memory and would ask me about specific things I was involved in that I had mentioned in a Christmas letter.  He would always make a point to encourage me in my spiritual walk.  He showed such joy at hearing about a mission trip, a class I was teaching or some way I was serving in my church.  He loved hearing about the things my girls were doing also.

He was a great story teller and his face would light up as he spoke about his travels, his family or something currently in the news.  He was interested in so many things.  Talking with him was always fascinating and fun.  He loved to laugh and he had eyes that danced.

He was one of the kindest people I have ever known.  He cared for others deeply and was always willing to sacrifice for the benefit of others.  He exemplified a life of service and made quite an impact on his hometown.

He suffered, physically, from the impact of diabetes.  To talk with him, you would have never known.  Eventually, you could see the problems that he had with his feet and legs, but his attitude and outlook on life remained joyful.  He was positive and upbeat, always.  He loved Jesus and that allowed him to trust his Savior with each day, always looking for the good.

He was beloved by his wife, daughters, son in laws, grandchildren and great grandchildren.  He was loved by his sisters, brother in laws, nieces, nephews and their children as well.  He will be sorely missed by all of us, but he leaves behind a legacy of hard work, laughter, faith, family and just a bit of mischief.

Thank you, Uncle Allen, for the great love you have shown me my entire life.  I love you and miss you already!

No comments:

Post a Comment