Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, June 2, 2014

Monday Musings ~ Sleeves

I have left the big city and am in Fort Worth, TX hanging out with my daughter, Ashley, waiting on the arrival of Heather's sweet baby boy ANY DAY NOW!!  I got to see Heather on Friday, so that helped! We can't wait to meet her precious son and our first grandson.  In the meantime, we got to celebrate some family birthdays yesterday and I'm having fun spending time with James and Ashley.

I've been going out on the porch in the mornings, spending some sweet time with the Lord.  I was reading Psalm 34.  It starts out ~

I will bless the Lord at all times.  
His praise shall continually be in my mouth.  
My soul will make its boast in the Lord.  
The humble will hear it and rejoice.  
O magnify the Lord with me and let us exalt His name forever.

The rest of the Psalm lists many of the reasons that David has for praising His mighty God.  He has just narrowly escaped a great enemy, so His awareness of God's goodness was surely heightened.  Just look at this list!

the Lord answers prayer
He delivers us from all our fears
He never causes us shame
He saves us out of our troubles
He rescues us
He is our refuge
He meets our needs
His eyes are toward the righteous
His ears open to their cries
He is against evil doers
He hears and He delivers
He is near to the broken hearted
He saves those who are crushed in spirit
He delivers us from our afflictions
He redeems the soul of His servants
There is no condemnation in Him

I was watching a program a couple of months ago about different leaders and their spiritual advisers.  A Christian man was being interviewed that encourages, prays for and talks with one of our top government officials.  In his words, "He is a Christian - he just doesn't wear it on his sleeve."

YIKES!  I've been thinking about that ever since I heard it.  I'm not thinking about or judging the person who said it or the person it was said about.  Instead, I looked in the mirror and tried to evaluate how that statement could apply to me!

I can't find anything in scripture to support such a view.  We are actually told to put on the Lord Jesus Christ! (Romans 13:14)  We are to proclaim our salvation and be ready at any time to share it with others.

Faith isn't to be compartmentalized.  

It really should be the most obvious thing about us!

If we are going to wear anything on our sleeve 
-- it should be Jesus.

I want Jesus to be the first thing someone notices about me.  Actually, I want it to be the only thing, really.  That's why I am here!  Everything else about me should flow from that.

When did we start to think that we needed to be 
secret service followers of Jesus?
How did we get comfortable with the idea that our faith 
was just part of who we are rather than who we are?

This comment sparked in me a mini revival of sorts.

I would much rather someone say:
All she does is talk about Jesus!
No matter what I ask her, Jesus is somewhere in the answer!
It is so strange!  Seems like her faith is the 
only thing that truly matters.
She lives like she believes that stuff!

I never want to come across as being ashamed of the gospel.  I want to be a faithful servant and proclaimer of Jesus.  He has forever and eternally changed my life.  Why would I want to downplay that?  Am I embarrassed?  Am I fearful? 

I hope you will take some time to ponder that comment with me.  Let's take it before the Lord and ask Him to show us how we can live boldly for Him - no matter what the circumstances are and no matter who we are around.

Oh - may I wear my faith on my sleeve 
in big bold letters!

No comments:

Post a Comment