Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, June 30, 2014

Monday Musings ~ Resume Deconstructing

Well, the last three weeks have been much more about a sweet baby than writing!  I have loved every minute that I was able to spend with precious baby Cooper, Heather and Cooper.  Perhaps my favorite moments were in the wee hours of the morning -- either talking with Heather during an early morning feeding or just holding that sweet baby as I was getting him back to sleep.  We had a lot of significant conversations!

You can tell he is already a deep thinker!  

So, can the Lord continue to speak to a very sleep deprived and deliriously joyful Mimi?

Why, yes, He can.

I have several things that I want to write about that the Lord has taught me over the past few weeks, but I thought I would tackle the topic of boasting today.

"But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me and I to the world."
Galatians 6:14

I don't consider myself boastful, but this passage makes me take a second look at that.

What do you do?

Perhaps this is one of the most common questions asked here in the states.  What we do often defines who we are in our culture.  A conversation can easily lead to a sharing of resumes, so to speak, even with some "one upmanship" going on until someone has the final trump card.  

My sweet friend, Lynsay, posted about this last week.  She talked about how even in Christian circles we do this as we tell one another all the ministry type activities we do - our God resume listed out detail by detail.  

Perhaps both are evidence of a little insecurity, or maybe just a longing for connection.  Maybe even a crying out for that assurance that "I matter."  In any case, it is worth a bit of self evaluation.

One of the things that strikes Alan any time we go on a mission trip is that people in other countries never ask him what he does.  They ask him about his church, his family and his faith.  

According to this passage, those resume identifiers fade away as we grow to understand that everything belongs to the Lord - that all we do is directed by Him, empowered by Him and accomplished by Him -- all to bring Him glory.

If we boast - we boast in Him.

What would that look like?

Would conversations naturally gravitate toward the Lord?

I don't have a lot of answers here, but I sure have some questions.  

I want to allow the Lord to investigate 
my motivations, 
my conversations 
and my heart.

When it is all said and done, I don't anyone to doubt what my life was all about.  I want to live the crucified life that is all about Jesus.

I want to . . . but I know I struggle to do so.  

Will you join me in the struggle?

Will you examine your own heart and allow the Lord to gently lead you to a fuller, deeper life that is found in Him?

"But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord."


No comments:

Post a Comment