Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, December 30, 2013

Monday Musings ~ Hector the Collecter

Okay - I'm just going to admit it.  God is using Shel Silverstein to teach me a lot right now.  I'm reading through Where the Sidewalk Ends and spiritual truth is popping into my head as I read.  I'm really loving it!  So, my lesson for today is brought to you by Hector the Collector.

Hector the Collector



Hector the Collector
Collected bits of string,
Collected dolls with broken heads
And rusty bells that would not ring. 
Bent-up nails and ice-cream sticks,
Twists of wires, worn-out tires,
Paper bags and broken bricks.
Old chipped vases, half shoelaces,
Gatlin' guns that wouldn't shoot,
Leaky boats that wouldn't float
And stopped-up horns that wouldn't toot. 
Butter knives that had no handles,
Copper keys that fit no locks
Rings that were too small for fingers,
Dried-up leaves and patched-up socks.
Worn-out belts that had no buckles,
'Lectric trains that had no tracks,
Airplane models, broken bottles,
Three-legged chairs and cups with cracks.
Hector the Collector
Loved these things with all his soul--
Loved them more than shining diamonds,
Loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,
'Come and share my treasure trunk!'
And all the silly sightless people
Came and looked ... and called it junk. 



I had so many thoughts running through my head after I read this.  Here are a few - and I'll warn you -- they jump around a bit!

* One of my first thoughts was God's ability to take what appears to be junk -- all our brokenness and junk -- and call is good and make it a treasure.  Oh, how I am grateful for this.  Who but Jesus could scoop up our brokenness and junk and fashion into His image?  2nd Corinthians 4:7-10 says:
But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves;  we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body."

* I also thought about all the time and effort we put into things that are temporary.  Now - that is part of life.  Groceries have to be bought, homes are made nice and comfortable, clothing is essential, and so many more things . . . but it is always a good reminder that all of these things are "junk" in comparison to all that is of eternal value.

* I also thought about the quote, "One man's trash is another man's treasure."  How we see and value what is around depends on our perspective.  I always ask the Lord to give me His eyes to see the people and situations around me.  I know that my own vision has such great limitations.  I need His unique way of viewing others to truly see them.  I don't want to be one of the sightless who can not see the treasure for the junk!

*I was also reminded that this perspective is not the norm.  Others may look at how I spend my time, or what I am investing in, or how I dress or how I act and it may seem very silly.  I, like Hector, may fall under some judgment as it appears that I am not doing something terribly important.  I'm okay with that.  When I look at that illustration of Hector all slumped over and sad because no one seems to understand, I think back on times when I felt that very same way.  It's okay.  This life is about being obedient to what the Lord calls you to do - not about having the approval of everyone else. 

* I was also reminded of Matthew 6:19-21.

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth
where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  
But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven
where neither moth nor rust destroys, 
and where thieves do not break in or steal;   
for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

I want to make sure that I am focusing on, investing in, striving toward and soaking in all the right things.  I want to collect only that which the Lord wants to write on my heart - those things that will make me more like Jesus.

What are you collecting?

Where are you investing?

Where is your treasure? 

Let's start out the year with our focus where it needs to be.

Happy New Year! 





No comments:

Post a Comment