Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Friday, March 1, 2013

Thankful Thursday ~ God's Sovereignty

I'm leading a small group discussion on a study called, Discovery:  God's Answers to Our Deepest Questions. by Will Wyatt. Will and his wife, Betty, discipled me in a Young Life program when I was 20 years oldTheir impact on my life is evident as I go through this study and see how much of who I am is influenced by their teaching.  I have an amazing group of 15 young women who are earnestly seeking to know God better and to trust Him more.  Our 3rd discussion was last night and it was on God's sovereignty.  Let's just say that is not light subject matter!  We had some great discussion, answered a few questions and pondered a lot more!

When we start asking questions about why certain things happened and why they did not -- we can get ourselves in quite a tangle.  I am thankful that God has provided us with some solid teaching and amazing scripture to help us navigate these murky waters.

I am thankful for God's Nature -- He has no equal.  He is alone in His power, His wisdom, His freedom.  He is above all and is totally independent.

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways.", declares the Lord.  Isaiah 55:8

He has no needs -- Only God who has no needs is capable of loving unconditionally, without expecting or needing anything in return.

He is Incomparable -- "He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of Lords."  1st Timothy 6:15

He is All Powerful -- nothing is impossible for Him.

"O Lord God of our fathers -- the only God in all the heavens, the Ruler of all the kingdoms of the earth -- you are so powerful, so mighty.  Who can stand against you? "
2nd Chronicles 20:6

He is Wisdom -- not only does God know everything, but He is wise in the use of His knowledge.  Knowledge without wisdom is of little use.  God is perfection in both.

"His understanding is unlimited."  Psalm 147:5

God is sovereign over our individual lives -- You are dependent on Him who is life for your life.  He has a good purpose for you, and as His child you can be assured that no one will ever thwart His purposes for you.  You are never on your own.

"His mind concerning me remains unchanged, and who can turn him from His purposes?  Whatever He wants to do , He does."  Job 23:13

We can trust a sovereign God whose knowledge about us, and the use of His power and freedom, are always filtered through His goodness.

"The Lord is fair in everything He does, and full of kindness."  Psalm 145:17

"The goodness of God endures continually."  Psalm 52:1

"For the Lord is always good.  He is always loving and kind, and His faithfulness goes on and on to each succeeding generation."  Psalm 100:5

God's good includes everything He causes or allows to happen that He uses to conform us into the likeness of Jesus.

God is sovereign -- the supreme, unencumbered ruler of all things.  He is alone in His power, wisdom, and freedom, and all His attributes are filtered through His goodness.  Knowing God is sovereign and good should give us confidence that we can trust Him with everything.

"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.  For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the first born among many brothers."  Romans 8:28-29

There are just some things that I will never understand in this life time.  There are other things that I can see God's purposes in, and yet, I wish they had not happened.  In my humanness, I just don't always get it.

BUT

I can always go back to what I know to be true.  I can rest in God's sovereignty coupled with His goodness.  I can submit to the refining fires that burn away all those things about me that do not look like Jesus.

And it is so worth it.

There is nothing that compares to the sweetness of walking with Jesus - in this life and in the life to come.  I can rest in that.




No comments:

Post a Comment