Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, March 4, 2013

Monday Musings ~ Just What We Need

Last week, I spent the week with Elijah.  Okay - not literally, but all of my readings were about the life of Elijah.  What an interesting life he lead!  He was the bearer of bad news on many occasions and had to run for his life more than once.   1st Kings 19 is one of those instances. Elijah ran and ran and ran all the way into the wilderness.  He collapsed, exhausted and probably a bit depressed, and fell into a deep sleep.

"Suddenly an angel shook him awake and said, “Get up and eat!”  He looked around and, to his surprise, right by his head were a loaf of bread baked on some coals and a jug of water. He ate the meal and went back to sleep.The angel of God came back, shook him awake again, and said, “Get up and eat some more—you’ve got a long journey ahead of you.”

Provision.

Then he was told, “Go, stand on the mountain at attention before God. God will pass by.”  A hurricane wind ripped through the mountains and shattered the rocks before God, but God wasn’t to be found in the wind; after the wind an earthquake, but God wasn’t in the earthquake; and after the earthquake fire, but God wasn’t in the fire; and after the fire a gentle and quiet whisper.
When Elijah heard the quiet voice, he muffled his face with his great cloak, went to the mouth of the cave, and stood there. A quiet voice asked, “So Elijah, now tell me, what are you doing here?” 

Presence. 

God said, “Go back the way you came through the desert to Damascus. When you get there anoint Hazael; make him king over Aram. Then anoint Jehu son of Nimshi; make him king over Israel. Finally, anoint Elisha son of Shaphat from Abel Meholah to succeed you as prophet. Anyone who escapes death by Hazael will be killed by Jehu; and anyone who escapes death by Jehu will be killed by Elisha. Meanwhile, I’m preserving for myself seven thousand souls: the knees that haven’t bowed to the god Baal, the mouths that haven’t kissed his image.”

 Purpose.

Elijah was exhausted, depressed and ready to cash it in.  The prospect of death was actually looking inviting.  The Lord was not unaware of Elijah. He sent angels, not once, but twice to feed him.  He passed before Him as a quiet whisper, giving him His presence.  Then, He reminded Him of his purpose and gave him next steps -- not the whole thing -- but next steps.

Peace.

When I am praying for others, I often pray for those very same things.  

Provision

Presence

Purpose

Peace

I don't always know what all is going on with those I love, but I am sure that those 4 needs should be covered.  I was so encouraged to see that pattern in scripture.

God loves and cares for you and me in the same way that He loved and cared for Elijah. 

He is our Provision.

"And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in Christ Jesus."  Philippians 4:19

His Presence is always with us.

"I will be with you; I will not fail you or forsake you."
Joshua 1:5
"But the Lord has been my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge."  Psalms 94:22

He gives us Purpose.

"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them."  Ephesians 2:10

He is our Peace.

"Peace, I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you.  Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful."

He is just what we need, 
right when we need it.

  
     

   


 


No comments:

Post a Comment