Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, February 25, 2013

Monday Musings ~ Just a glance

I've been reading about David this past week.  There is just no one in scripture quite like David.  He has such high highs and low lows.  He is described as a man after God's own heart and yet he stumbles face first, flat on the ground.  Maybe that is why I love him so.  He is very real.

My reading on Friday was the story of David and Bathsheba.  It is a puzzling story - a huge indiscretion by such a great king.  David - that man after God's own heart - crosses the line.  He actually plows across the line far into the distance!  We look at this story and wonder "How could he do this?  How could he fall into such sin?  How could he then further his sin by trying to cover it up with more sin?  One action lead to another and we ended up with a stacked sin sandwich of sorts.

It starts with one decision - perhaps just a glance that turns into a look.  Then that look turns into a thought and that thought turns into a desire.  At that point, what would have to happen for that desire to fulfilled did not even matter.  David went from an indiscretion to a murder.  His heart became hard as he lived with that sin.  9 months later, the Lord sends the prophet Nathan to confront David.  David confesses his sin and he is restored in his relationship with the Lord, but not without consequences.

I asked myself, "What can I learn from David's mistakes?"

*Stop at the glance.  We can not always avoid what we see at a glance, but we can stop it there.  Don't let that glance turn into a look.

*Always separate my needs from my greeds.  Just because I want it doesn't mean that I need it or that I should have it.

*When I find myself slipping (or jumping) into sin, I want to recognize it immediately and confess it - allowing the Lord to give me the strength to turn from it.

*I want to recognize, that like David, my sin never only impacts me.  It will always harm innocent people that are connected to my life.  There is no such thing as solo sin -- even if we are alone!

*I want to accept the consequences or discipline from the Lord and turn toward him, praising Him for His goodness.  That is what David did and God graciously continued to use his life and walk with him.

Temptations are all around us.  Every direction that we glance can be a potential pitfall -- whether it be a physical temptation or one that just settles down in your mind.  Sometimes the ones that are not so visible are the hardest to deal with.

I can choose to redirect my gaze and change my focus.  I can choose to stay in God's Word and dialog with Him all day long.  The closer I stay to Him, the less likely I am to stray.

Never get too comfortable, thinking that you are above a particular sin.  That is a dangerous place to be.  I want to stay on my spiritual toes and honor the Lord with the choices I make.

Let's allow our gaze to settle on the Lord, His goodness and His grace.



No comments:

Post a Comment