Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, February 11, 2013

Monday Musings ~ Water, Walls and Worship

My readings this past week have been about Joshua.  He is one of those men in the Bible that displayed so many great character traits.  I put together a list of the things I admire about him and would love to emulate in my own life.



*He was the ultimate optimist!  I am very optimistic and I love knowing that this is a godly characteristic.  As people of faith, we have every reason to be optimistic.  When the 12 spies were sent out to look over the Promised Land - only Joshua and Caleb came back with a faith filled report.

*He had a big faith in a BIG God.  So can we!  Our faith is not based on good luck or just a nice, happy feeling inside.  It is based on a big God that is very capable of handling anything that comes our way. Joshua knew that and it made all the difference.

*He wasn't afraid to fill some big shoes.  How would you like to be the one to follow in the footsteps of Moses?  YIKES  But Joshua had the assurance from the Lord that the Lord would be with him.  God says over and over again - Be strong and courageous.  I will be with you wherever you go.

*He was filled with the Spirit of wisdom.  Joshua had a huge job ahead of Him.  He relied on the wisdom of the Lord to do it.  Do I always draw on this resource that is just as available to me?

*He obeyed immediately.  God said it - he did it.  Oh, the lessons I can learn from that one!

*He was courageous.  He was asked to do things that most of us would have considered ridiculous and impossible.  Joshua just went ahead and did them.

*He wasn't afraid to appear foolish.  I think about the Battle of Jericho.  Joshua had instructions to march around the walled city 7 times - while musical instruments were playing and horns blowing.  REALLY?  I'm sure that more than one pair of eyebrows were raised at this one - but Joshua went ahead and did it, foolish looking or not - and the victory was won!  Those walls came tumbling down.  Am I afraid of looking foolish?  Are there walls in my life that need to come tumbling down?

*He asked the sun to stand still.  WHAT?  The only time we see this.  What amazing faith in our Amazing God who answered that prayer to give Joshua more daylight to finish up a battle.  Do I ask God for those things that seem impossible or am I making my God too small?

*Joshua stirred up the faith of his people every time they were up against a challenge.  He always pointed to the Lord and the victories of the past to encourage them in the battles of the present.  I want to be someone who can do that for others.

*Joshua ended well.  Some of his last words to his people still ring true today --

“If you decide that it’s a bad thing to worship God, then choose a god you’d rather serve—and do it today. Choose one of the gods your ancestors worshiped from the country beyond The River, or one of the gods of the Amorites, on whose land you’re now living. As for me and my family, we’ll worship God.”
Joshua 24:15

Who will you choose to serve?  It's true - if you decide that you don't want to worship God, then you are choosing what your alternative worship will be. We were created to worship and if we reject God - something else will take His place.  

I choose to worship God.  How about you?

Will you be strong and courageous? 

Will you choose to be a faith filled optimist?  

Will you practice immediate obedience? 

Will you stir up the faith of others?
  
Will you step into God's calling on your life, 
trusting that He is big enough for the task ahead? 

Will you end well?

Joshua inspires me to be a faithful, servant of the Lord.

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment