Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Friday, February 22, 2013

Thankful Thursday ~ Cindy Wheeler

I couldn't get my self together to sit down and write yesterday  - so I will have a thankful Thursday on Friday!  Perfect timing, actually, because today is one of my oldest (as in how long I have known her) and dearest friend's birthday.  Seems like a great day to celebrate how thankful I am for her!

I met Cindy when I was a sophomore at Baylor.  We had actually gone to the same high school, but Cindy was two years ahead of me so I didn't know her.  I met her when I was a volunteer leader in Young Life in Waco.  Cindy was a senior and had been leading Young Life all during college.  I instantly felt connected to her and after a few weeks, I asked her if she would disciple me.  Unknown to me at the time, that totally freaked her out!  Fortunately for me - she agreed - and what began was an amazing friendship.


This is at my rehearsal dinner!

 I have learned so much from Cindy over the years.  She is passionate about her faith and her love for Jesus.  She taught me how to minister to youth and then how to minister to women.  We learned a lot about parenting along side each other and more than a few things about the tricky business of being a wife and a mother (at the same time!)  We have visited each other in all the different places we have lived and have inside jokes going back many years.  (What's a Goad?  DAAAAGGGGEEETTTT, Cindy Sellie)

We have faithfully stood by each other through some pretty scary haircuts and clothing styles!

We have laughed with one another and shed some tears also.  We have never really lived close to each other since college, but I know that if I needed Cindy, she would be by my side in a minute.  She is that kind of a friend.

Sharing some time in Colorado.
Did I mention that she makes me laugh hysterically?  She is so fun and funny.  No matter what, we have each other laughing almost instantly.  We share a rich history and I am so thankful for her and for her friendship.

We have been friends for 33 years.  There is just nothing like that kind of heart connection.  Cindy - I am so thankful for you and I love celebrating you today on your special day.  Thank you for loving me and being just the kind of friend I have needed for all these years.  Jesus loves me through you.


1 comment:

  1. What an awesome tribute to a friend and enduring friendships!

    ReplyDelete