Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Friday, January 25, 2013

Thankful Thursday ~ Not Forgotten

I think everyone has had the experience of being forgotten ~ feeling left out ~ feeling unappreciated ~  It is NOT a good feeling.  In my reading this week, I have been camped out in Genesis reading about Joseph.  I wrote about him on Monday, too, because his life has so much to teach us!  In my reading today, Joseph is feeling very much forgotten.

While in prison (after being unjustly accused), Joseph rises to a place of leadership within the prison.  When the Pharaoh's cup bearer and baker are put in prison, Joseph is in charge of their care.  Each of these men have a dream that they can not figure out.  They ask Joseph about it and he tells them that God knows what dreams mean and that God can tell him the interpretation.

The cup bearer gets a favorable interpretation and the baker ~~~ not so much.

In verse 14, Joseph tells the cup bearer, "Only keep me in mind when it goes well with you and please do me a kindness by mentioning me to Pharaoh and get me out of this place."

The cup bearer is restored to his position in the Pharaoh's court.

In verse 23, we see that his gratitude to Joseph is short lived, indeed.
"Yet the chief cup bearer did not remember Joseph, but forgot him."

I don't know if there is a lonelier feeling than being forgotten.  Joseph was not only lonely, but suffering from a grave injustice.  He just wanted someone to notice him and lend him a helping hand.  Perhaps that phrase, "No good deed goes unpunished," originated here!

It would be 2 years before Joseph comes to the mind of this cup bearer.  That had to have felt like a LONG time.

But he was not forgotten . . .

God was at work and His timing was perfect.

"Can a woman forget her nursing child? And have no compassion on the son of her womb?  Even these may forget, but I will not forget you.  Behold, I have inscribed you on the palms of my hands.  You are ever before me . . ."
Isaiah 49:15-16

What an encouragement!  Even when you feel like

           no one notices

                                       no one cares

                    no one remembers

It isn't true.  

The God of the universe is mindful of you ~ your pain, your hurt and your loneliness.  He is working behind the scenes on your behalf.

Hang on

You are not forgotten

You are His beloved

His treasure

His child


Today, I am thankful that I will never be forgotten by the Lord.  My name is inscribed on the palm of His hand.  My heart overflows . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment