Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, December 3, 2012

Monday Musings ~ Making a list . . .

I should know that any time I make a grand statement about something, it will probably change!  My thoughts today have a Christmas theme - but it might be considered a bit of a stretch :-)  I'm still going with it!

Matthew 19:16 - 22

Another day, a man stopped Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”  Jesus said, “Why do you question me about what’s good? God is the One who is good. If you want to enter the life of God, just do what he tells you.”  The man asked, “What in particular?”  Jesus said, “Don’t murder, don’t commit adultery, don’t steal, don’t lie, honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as you do yourself.”  The young man said, “I’ve done all that. What’s left?”  “If you want to give it all you’ve got,” Jesus replied, “go sell your possessions; give everything to the poor. All your wealth will then be in heaven. Then come follow me.”  That was the last thing the young man expected to hear. And so, crestfallen, he walked away. He was holding on tight to a lot of things, and he couldn’t bear to let go.

This story of the rich young ruler is a sad one, indeed.  He knew all the commandments and believed that he was following them.  He made a list and was checking it twice!  What more could he do?



Jesus told him to sell his possessions, give to the poor and follow Him -- maybe one of the single greatest invites of all time and yet he walked away grieving because he owned much property. 

Why did Jesus ask him to do that particular thing?  Because He knew that this man's heart was tied up in his possessions.  Following the rules was fine . . . but meaningless without a heart for Jesus driving that obedience.

I'm leading a group through a study on the book of Ruth by Kelly  Minter.  There was a quote last week that immediately jumped in my head as I read this passage.  

"I'm not sure there is any more important move in our life with Christ than our total surrender to Him.  Yes, this can be scary.  Yes, it can be costly. But . . . the earthly and eternal blessings of submission to Jesus are unparalleled.  What He can do with a willing life surrendered at His feet is more than we can comprehend.  I just know I don't want to miss it for whatever I'm clutching in my hands."

Are you making a list and checking it twice?

Are you relying on being "nice"?

Or, is your heart fully invested in your relationship with Jesus?

Are you following Him at any cost?

What are you clutching in your hands?

What do you need to let go of in order to enter into 
a life of spiritual abundance?




No comments:

Post a Comment