Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Thankful Thursday: The Bigger Picture

Hello Thankful Thursday.  One of my favorite days.  Don't you just love a thankful Thursday?  I have to admit that one of the things I am most thankful for at the moment is that we are leaving early in the morning to head to Colorado.  How I have missed my mountains.  I CAN NOT wait to be there.

More about that next Thursday . . .

I have been reading through the book of Daniel this week.  I LOVE the book of Daniel.  It is so rich and there are so many lessons about life on each page.  Daniel and his 3 buddies are some of my greatest heroes.  They challenge me to live a life that has a godly influence.

Since I spent the summer studying Nehemiah, it is so much fun for me to read Daniel again with that context in mind.  Daniel was among the first captives taken from Jerusalem to Babylon.  He was among a group of Jerusalem's finest -- choice picks to be trained for the king's service in Babylon.

I love that even though Daniel was young, he was so determined to live a life devoted to God.  I think this is the reason that the Lord used Him so mightily in the midst of a pagan culture.  Right away, Daniel and his 3 close friends were challenged to keep themselves eating "clean" rather than eating the king's choice food.

*Daniel was always respectful - he sought permission to eat food other than the king's food.  He never made demands.

*God gave him favor through this process - with the officials and in his superior physical appearance at the end of the food challenge.

*God gave him knowledge and intelligence -- visions and dreams.

*God gave him a position of tremendous influence for 70+ years.

I love that God had a plan in the midst of what was seemingly a huge tragedy.  Daniel rose to the occasion, trusting the Lord even in this period of captivity.  It may have appeared that Daniel was cooperating with Nebuchadnezzar, but in reality, God was the One working His plan.  

God wants to do the same thing now.  He longs to use His people in the midst of their families, neighborhoods, workplaces, cities and nations to be a godly influence.  He grants favor and opportunity.

I am so thankful that the Lord has a plan for me.  

I am thankful that I have the privilege and opportunity to be a godly influence where He has placed me.

I am thankful for the opportunities that come my way - those disguised as difficulties and those that jump out at me as obvious opportunities.

I am thankful for a God that ALWAYS sees the BIGGER PICTURE.

No comments:

Post a Comment