Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thankful Thursday - JOY

I was reading in Nehemiah 8 this week and came across one of my favorite verses --

The JOY of the Lord is my STRENGTH.
Nehemiah 8:10

Where does strength come from?  Well, according to this verse, one source of strength is the JOY of the Lord.  Well - that got me thinking.  What is the JOY of the Lord?

Well . . . we know that JOY is something that comes from within.  It's source has to be deep and abiding.  JOY is certainly a choice - but I also believe that it is Holy Spirit created . . . Holy Spirit derived.  Because Jesus dwells in me, I have JOY - because Jesus dwells in me, I can choose to live that JOY out in my every day life.  I can choose to bury it too . . .

When Nehemiah wrote this, the people were mourning a season of sin and neglect of God's ordinances.  Nehemiah was encouraging them to repent - but to also move ahead and celebrate God's mercy.  We can get caught up in our failures and sometimes beat ourselves up for disappointing God.  I am so thankful that we have the freedom to confess to the Lord and be assured of His forgiveness.  We don't get bonus points for moping around - Jesus paid a high price to cover our sin and give us JOY.  

When I am feeling weak in my own sin or just not up to the task at hand, I must rely on my JOY in the Lord to carry me through.  My joy in Him will actually supply the strength that I need to be obedient or maybe just to make it through a difficult part of the journey.

JOY OF THE LORD
I don't have to "muster it up."  
It is amply supplied by the Lord Himself.  
It is available 24/7.  
I must choose it.  

Joy in the Lord is all about the gift of salvation - the gift of grace, mercy, love and peace.  Joy in the Lord is all about my standing as His child - His beloved.  

I am so thankful that my life if full of JOY - even when happiness might evade me.  I am so thankful that the Lord's strength sustains me.  I am thankful that no one can take it away from me - I can only let it go.  No one can steal it - but I can give it away to others.

Let's be people of JOY - it is contagious - 
it is reflective of our Savior.  

Today - I am thankful for JOY.

1 comment:

  1. Amen...well said...yes we have the choice to choose joy...and it is contagious, I just caught some from you.

    ReplyDelete