Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Monday Musings - God's Favor

The whole idea of God's favor really intrigues me.  Let me just start out by saying that I don't really understand it.  I've seen it - I've experienced it -- but even with that being said, there is a lot about it that I don't understand.  I was reading in Nehemiah 2 this past week and these verses grabbed my attention.

Nehemiah 2:8   . . . because the good hand of my God was on me
Nehemiah 2:18  . . .  the hand of my God had been favorable
Nehemiah 2:10  . . .  The God of heaven will give us success

What brings God's favor about?  
How do we/or do we fall in and out of His favor?  

I think those are some really interesting questions.  I have seen God's favor in the lives of others and I have certainly seen it in mine.  In verse 4, it says that Nehemiah prayed to God as soon as the King asked him what he wanted - so - I would deduce from that, that an intimate relationship with God and a habit of immediately taking matters to Him would be important.  What he was trying to do was something pleasing to God - so it makes sense that God would give him favor in his obedience.

I would also say that trials and struggles are not necessarily indicative of God removing His favor - it might, in fact, be the opposite.  Those very trials and struggles may be His favor on us to shape and mold us into His image.  

Does God sometimes remove His favor from our lives?  I don't really know the answer to this, but I do think that blatant disobedience and sin could cause this to happen.  God can not put His blessing on our sin and disobedience.  It just would not be consistent with His character. 

These are interesting questions to explore - but obedience, prayer, faith, trust and abiding seem to be key.  I have been amazed to watch the Lord give people great favor with builders, bosses, landlords, clerks, judges, neighbors, teachers, professors and many others.  I have seen some amazing things fall into place where you know, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that God's hand was on it.  

I do know this - God gives us more than we could ever deserve.  His goodness and faithfulness know no bounds.  He is always for us - He always has our back.  I think life is more about living in God's favor (as in living my life a way that reflects Him) than it is about gaining His favor.  Jesus has put me in a favorable position.  

Won't you ponder this along with me?  I'd love to hear what you think.  

May the Lord's favor rest on you today!

No comments:

Post a Comment