Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Monday Musings - Second Chances

Happy Monday!  I have had a whirlwind of a weekend but a great one.  Wanted to share some of the things that God showed me in a very tangible way this weekend.  

I had the honor of going to the wedding of my former Young Life leader, Kim Talley, this weekend.  If I had to pick one person who had the most impact on my spiritual life - it would be him, so this was especially sweet to me.  (Look back at my post from Monday, August 30th 2010 to see my story about Kim.)  Alan and I drove to Amarillo TX - spending one night in Oklahoma City.  It was a long drive - but well worth it!

Kim had been married before and has three beautiful children.  The youngest is in college - so they are all grown up.  One of his sons sang at the wedding.  Amazing.  When Kim's first marriage broke apart, he was devastated.  He would never have seen himself in that place.  It has been a long journey for him and it is so exciting for me to see him step out and risk love again.  He could not have chosen a more perfect partner for himself in Lisa.  They compliment each other in so many ways and I see them having many happy years together.

God is the God of second chances.  No matter what has happened, in Christ, we have the privilege of getting back up and receiving God's grace again.  He is enough.  His grace is big enough to cover all our sin, short comings and seemingly failures.  He is so good that He can even take those failures and turn them into something good.  Those are often the times when He is doing the most work in our lives as we reach the end of our own resources and have no choice but to lean into Him - depending on Him for everything.

So many Christians and not-yet-believers keep kicking themselves over and over again for that one thing they can not forgive themselves for.  It could be anything since we all walk a different journey.  I really believe that satan loves that - he loves to kick us when we are down.  He loves to whisper what a complete failure we are - unworthy of God's love.  

DON'T BELIEVE IT!  

God's Word tells us over and over again that He works in our weakness (2nd Corinthians 12:9-10); His mercies are new every morning (Lamentations 3:22-23); He forgives us (Colossians 2:13-14).  God's resources are unlimited He waits for you to just give that "thing" up to Him.

What are you holding onto that is in reality holding you back?  Where do you need a second chance?

I love the good Word in Joel 2:25 - "I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten."  

When  a swarm of locust descend on a field, it is left devastated.  There may be days, months or even years that you have felt were wasted in your walk with the Lord or just wasted in your life.  We have a Mighty God who can restore what you have lost in a way that you can not even imagine.  

Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever.  Amen.
 Ephesians 3:20-21

Embrace the God of Second Chances today.  What are you waiting for?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment