Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Monday Musings - In a Whisper

I took last week off as I spent the week in Texas helping Ashley and James get a lot of wedding details taken care of.  We made huge progress and are really counting down the days until the big event!  We are very excited!!  May 22nd will be here before we know it.


I went to Ashley's church a week ago Sunday and heard a message that included some scripture on Elijah's life.  We didn't get to the following scripture in the sermon, but as I was reading ahead, I was reminded how very much I love this passage.


In 1st Kings 18, Elijah has just had an incredible victory over the prophets of Baal.  He then prayed for rain and God answered that prayer.  Upon arriving in Jezreel, he learned of Jezebel's plans to kill him.  Talk about highs and lows!  I love what happens next.


In 1st Kings 19, it says that "Elijah saw how things were and he ran for dear life to Beersheba and then went on into the desert another day's journey."  He was frightened.  He says, "Enough of this, God!  Take my life - I'm ready to join my ancestors in the grave!"  Exhausted he fell asleep under the lone broom bush.  Elijah was at the end of his rope.  He was spent and he was ready to give up.


Then, some really interesting things happen!  First of all, an angel shook him and said, "Get up and eat!"  A meal was prepared for him and he ate.  He fell back asleep and once again, the angel woke him and fed him again telling him he had a long journey ahead.  He indeed did, as he then traveled for forty days and nights all the way to the mountain of God, to Horeb.  When he got there, he climbed into a cave a feel asleep once again.


Okay - this is my favorite part!  The word of God came to Elijah and asked him ,"What are you doing here?"  He goes into his speech about how hard he had been working for God and all it had gotten him are threats to his life and loneliness!  As far as he knew, he was the only godly man left!  Here it is  . . . get ready!  He was told to go stand on the mountain at attention before God and that God will pass by.  WOW  Even as tired as Elijah was, he would not miss this!  He goes out of his cave and stands on the mountainside.


"A hurricane wind ripped through the mountains and shattered the rocks before God, but God wasn't to be found in the wind; after the wind an earthquake, but God wasn't in the earthquake; and after the earthquake fire, but God wasn't in the fire; and after the fire a gentle and quiet whisper."


I love that our God is MIGHTY and that things like hurricanes, earthquakes and even fire remind us of God's consuming power, but note how He chooses to speak to Elijah.  In a whisper . . .  God then goes on to question Elijah, give him his next task and encourage him with the news that there are 7,000 others who have not bowed down to Baal.  Then (it gets even better!) he gives Elijah, Elisha - who became his right hand man.  God heard the cry of Elijah and He met his needs while still giving him work to do.


As a Mom, I learned early on that yelling did not accomplish much.  When I had something really important to say to my girls, I would lower my voice and that got their attention.  They had to look at me and even strain to hear what I was saying.  I had their attention 100%.  God treats us the same way.  He knows that there are countless noises all around us daily.  Sometimes it is hard to discern what voice is coming from Him.  So - He invites us to slow down, come out of our cave of chaos and stand still.  He longs to come by and whisper in our ears.  Those whispers may be the most important words you ever hear.  I love that my Almighty, Powerful, Good God chooses to whisper to me.  It is so intimate - so personal.  He has a word that is only for me so He whispers it to me.


What is God whispering in your ear? (I love to ask people that question!)  Are you weary and worn out like Elijah?  Do you feel alone or defeated?  Are you afraid?  Here is a good word for you.  God sees you - He longs to minister to you - He longs to whisper.  Be still.  Open up your spiritual ears and take it in.  


You will be equipped, encouraged and blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment