Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Monday Musings - Thanksgiving Week

This is one of my favorite weeks of the year!  I love a week that focuses on being thankful and is all about family, friends and food.  Hard to beat that!

I love Christmas too - because one of my love languages is gifts -- I LOVE TO GIVE GIFTS -- but I know that can also be a source of stress for some people.  The great thing about Thanksgiving is that we can do for others and just enjoy each other without any expectation of reciprocation (I like that phrase!)  

I was born Thanksgiving week and I get to celebrate my birthday on Thanksgiving day every so often which is particularly fun.  My sweet friend, Heather Sweetman, gets the Thanksgiving Day birthday this year and I get to celebrate it with her - that is a pretty sweet deal :-)  We are having a bunch of people over for Thanksgiving dinner this year.  It will be a very special time with family (Ashley, James and Alan) and our church family that are in town.  Lots good food, lots of fun and great fellowship.  So very much to be thankful for.

If there was ever a week for an attitude of gratitude - it would be this one.  Count your blessings.  My friend Kerry, who lost his sweet wife Jill in August due to a motorcycle accident, is facing his first Thanksgiving without her.  He is struggling but he is looking for the good - he is thankful for his kids and for all the years he shared with Jill.  It's hard - but he is doing it.  

Hebrews 13:15 says, "Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise - the fruit of lips that openly profess His name." 

For some, this Thanksgiving may be a really tough time.  Like my friend Kerry, you may have lost someone dear to you and facing your first holiday without them is a daunting task.  For others, you may be experiencing a difficult circumstance in your life or you may be facing a huge disappointment.  In those kinds of situations, we have the unique opportunity to offer a sacrifice of praise.  How very pleased the Lord must be when we acknowledge that He is what we are thankful for - above all else - regardless of our circumstances - regardless of our pain - He is still worthy of our praise.  
 
Thankful Thursday will be on Thanksgiving this week - double attitude of gratitude.  Celebrate with me.  Take time to write down some things you are thankful for and share them at your Thanksgiving meal.  Honor the Giver of all Good Gifts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment