Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day

I've been on the road for the last several days making my way to South Carolina for a week long vacation with our kids at the beach!  It is very beautiful here and trust me, you will be seeing some pictures of it!  I wanted to pause and take a moment to write about Father's Day.

Good friend, follow your father’s good advice;
    don’t wander off from your mother’s teachings.
Wrap yourself in them from head to foot;
    wear them like a scarf around your neck.
Wherever you walk, they’ll guide you;
    whenever you rest, they’ll guard you;
    when you wake up, they’ll tell you what’s next.
For sound advice is a beacon,
    good teaching is a light,
    moral discipline is a life path.
Proverbs 6:20-23


I've been reading through Proverbs and when I came across this the other day, I thought is was very fitting for Father's Day.  I am fortunate enough to have a wonderful father.  I'm sure if you asked him, he could think of mistakes he made along the way.  (Those jump out at us as parents!)  I can tell you that they were few and far between. 




My earliest memories bring back feelings of love, safety, security, and fun.  I had a healthy fear of my Dad as a child which I deem as a very good thing.  He disciplined me when I needed it but it was never mean spirited or out of anger.  I know I got spankings when I was little, but Dad really only needed to speak in a stern voice for me to straighten up.  He never yelled - He was never harsh.  He only disciplined me for my benefit.  How like our heavenly Father that is!

Dad is always a good source of advice.  He gave me the gift of wise words all through my growing up and he still does if I ask Him.  He gave me the freedom to make my choices and learn from my mistakes.  He was always there with an encouraging word when I needed it.  He still is.



The greatest life lessons that my Dad taught me were by example.  I have watched him live a life that honors God, benefits man and blesses all.  I have watched him deal with life's disappointments and struggles and still come up smiling.  He has a heart as big as Texas and is the most generous man I know.  He is always looking for ways to help others and make things better.

I don't know what this day means to you.  For some, it is sad as they miss their dads so much and mourn their loss.  For others, it is sad because they do not have an earthly father that is loving, kind, caring and present.  I grieve with you.  I encourage you to look to our Heavenly Father for He is such a good father.  He is ever present and He parents perfectly.  The Lord is good to put other men in our lives to help fulfill that role.  I know - it isn't the same, but one day, all things will be made right.  There is such hope in that!

I am thankful for men who model our Heavenly Father and point us to Him.  I am thankful that our Heavenly Father can fill those places where earthly father's fall short.  I am thankful that out of sheer grace, I was given my Dad.  It is a blessing I do not take lightly.



I love you, Dad.  I am so thankful for you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment