Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tuesday's Thoughts ~ Side by Side

God has been speaking to me about this message since last week.  I'm pretty excited to be able to sit down long enough to write it!  It is one of those things that has been knocking around in my head and coming at me from all directions.  I'm honored to share it!

Scripture tells us to in Romans 12:15 to "Rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep." 

Seems like a no brainer - right?

And yet, I am seeing a lot of things out there that just don't match up to this.

Since Mother's Day just happened, I'll speak to that, but it is much bigger than that.  Mother's Day is very difficult for some.  Perhaps they had a hurtful relationship with their own mother or are longing to be a mother.  Perhaps they have lost a child or are waiting to adopt. Perhaps they have given a child up for adoption and the pain of that still stings.  I saw several posts and blogs ranting a bit about the celebration of Mother's Day and how it demeans women who are not mothers or puts too much emphasis on this role.

WOW

Don't get me wrong, I am not insensitive or blind to the pain associated with that, but it struck me how this passage in Romans needs to be lived out in all aspects of our life.  It is pretty easy to rejoice with someone when we like them and can identify with them.  We are happy to cheer, clap and give a slap on the back.

But what about someone who is rejoicing over something that we wanted?  How about the family whose child wins the award that you feel like your child deserved or is chosen for the team that your child didn't make or got into the college that yours did not?  How about the woman who has children when you so desperately want them?  How about the one who got the promotion that you thought was yours?  How about the girl who just got engaged when you so desperately want to find your soulmate?  How about the person who has treated you unkindly who won the big prize, bought the big house or received accolades from others?

OUCH

That is much harder . . . and yet we are called to rejoice with those who rejoice.

How about weeping with those who weep? 

When someone we love is hurting, we can come right along side them with tears, hugs and assurances.  Although stepping into their pain is not fun, we can choose to do just that.  God uses us as His comforters.  We offer strength where our friend or loved one is weak.

But what about someone who has mistreated you?  Can you weep with them when they weep or do you inwardly rejoice that they finally got what they deserved?  Do you think "what goes around comes around?"  Does their suffering somehow bring you comfort?  Do you feel like this payback is justified and right?

OUCH

We certainly do not like to see ourselves in this light.  I am sorry to say that I have stumbled in both of these areas.  I have been jealous of others successes and discontent with what I have been given.  I have been caught in a cycle of comparing myself to others and lost sight of who God has made me to be.  I have found my self stewing over accolades bestowed on another when I thought perhaps, I or someone I knew should have them instead.

It's ugly.

It's a giant red flag.

Rejoice with those who rejoice.  Weep with those who weep. 

You may notice that there are no conditions put on these commands.  It would be rather nice if it said, "Rejoice with those who you believe deserve it and weep with those who didn't deserve to suffer." 

But it doesn't.  Our call is much bigger than that.

Our call is to celebrate Mother's Day for all the moms out there, even if our own experience has not been what we had hoped for.  Our call is to celebrate a birthday even when someone we love won't have one this year.  Our call is to rejoice with those who are promoted, chosen, elected and honored, even if we see it differently. 

Our call is to weep with those who suffer, are discouraged, disappointed and troubled.  Our call is to come along side those who are grieving and allow our tears to minister to them . . . even if they have been unkind or even down right cruel to us.

Even if they don't deserve it.

Because, you know what?  We don't deserve it either.  

We don't deserve anything and yet we are given so much.  We can afford to rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep because it comes from the overflow of God's grace in our lives.

How well do you celebrate others successes?

How often do you compare yourself to others?

How often are you thinking of the next thing you want?

How often are you grateful?

How quickly do you respond to people in need?

I want to rest in what the Lord has chosen to give me.  I want to live life out of my contentment so that I can truly rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep because it will not be about me . . . it will be about them. 

I trust the Lord to make all things right, eventually.  I don't need to see that now.  I just need to be obedient to this command that seemed so simple when I first read it.

It's not easy, but with God's grace,
 it is simple.


No comments:

Post a Comment