Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Thankful Thursday: Recounting God's Goodness

Psalm 105 is an account of God's faithfulness to Israel.  It was used as a reminder and as an encouragement to the people when they were going through difficult times.  As I was reading through it, I thought it would be fun to look back over my life and recount God's goodness to me.  It is not an exhaustive list by any means, but it was fun to see that thread of God's goodness and faithfulness in my life.  I highly recommend it.

*God's provision of 2 parents who loved Jesus and raised me with the the truth of the gospel.
*Churches that took care of me and nurtured me as I grew up - Willow Meadows Baptist Church and Tallowood Baptist Church.
*An extended family of believers.  I had godly grandparents, aunts and uncles - people who affirmed the truth of God's great love for me.
*The ministry of Young Life during my teenage years that truly brought my faith to fulness - thank you Kim Talley.
*My years at Baylor University that sharpened me, challenged me, matured me and encouraged me.  Experiences and people that have had such a godly impact on my life.
*God's provision of Alan as my husband.  Boy - God sure knew what He was doing.
*Our growth and community during our young adult years at First Baptist Arlington.  These people are still our dear friends.  We had such amazing mentors who poured so much into our lives and they still do.  
*The birth of our girls - evidence of God's graciousness to us as He entrusted us with these treasures.  
*Bible Study Fellowship - such great Bible study training as a student and as a leader.  These 8 years shaped me so much.
*Our move to New York - such a bonding time for our little family of 4 - changed our perspective on our neighborhood and our world and taught us to "do" church in an all hands on deck small church.
*One year back in TX - As He would have it, it was an important time for us to be near family.  I also got to teach a women's bible study class that year that prepared me for many things to come.
*Move to Ohio - so much growth and maturity through parenting, Bible Study Fellowship, Youth Ministry and our church family at Karl Road Baptist Church.  Our girls were loved and nurtured by so many people.
*Move back to TX - we had a one week notice of this move and it was hard.  We learned to trust and rely on the Lord in new ways in this quick and difficult transition.  His faithfulness was lavished on us in so many ways.
*Coming back to our First Baptist Arlington family - our involvement in the Youth Ministry, small group and camps, mission trips, new friends, Young Life, our neighbors, Martin High School and Bible Study. Threads of God's grace and purpose through all of those aspects of our lives - priceless.
*Our girls time at Baylor - so grateful that we lived close and got to share in that time.  What a privilege to watch the Lord grow and mature our girls into women that love and serve Him.
*Our time spent in Colorado - our neighbors and church - The River Church.  God has used this place as a point of refuge, rest and encouragement.
*Gold's Gym - such a great time of ministry, friendship and fitness.  
*Sweet time preparing for and hosting Heather's wedding to Cooper.
*Our move to Chicago - God has richly blessed our life here with great new friends, our church Destination, our neighbors that we love so much and many ministry opportunities.
*My painting and volunteering at Hamilton Elementary and Prescott Elementary.
*Sweet time preparing and hosting Ashley and James' wedding.
*God's graciousness in bringing dear friends from TX to live in Chicago - love having Ashley and Aaron Cauble, along with Beth and Morgan Fairweather.  We are blessed beyond measure.

WOW - I would really encourage you to take a look back over time - in both the hard things and the good things and see that thread of God's faithfulness, His purposes and His grace.  It is a faith builder.

I am so thankful for my God who walks each step with  me.

He is faithful.

He is steadfast.

He loves me so.

2 comments:

  1. I praise God for a special time this summer reading His Word. After completing the BSF lessons ACTS of the Apostles for the second time, I felt I had not had enough time to really study Hebrews. After looking at a book that challenged readers to begin studying a book by reading it in its entirety every day for a month, I felt a tug on my heart to read it every day this summer as my "summer plan" for Bible reading. Wow, I have been blessed with the complete assurance of God's faithfulness and His UNCHANGEABLE nature. Chris and I sense God has change on the horizon for us, but I know He is in charge and He will be there as our rock no matter what.
    I also give thanks for God's amazing provision for us since we have been on staff with Campus Crusade for Christ for almost ten years now:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome, Penelope! Thank you for sharing that. I sure do miss you!

      Delete