Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, August 27, 2012

Monday Musings: And yet God . . .

Do you have those times when there are just a lot of things swirling around in your head?  Do you have times when you have decisions to make that could be personally costly or times when you are just overwhelmed?

Me too.

Take a look at Psalm 74, verse 12.

Yet God is my king from of old,
Who works deeds of deliverance in the midst of the earth.  


This Psalm was written during the period of the Babylonian exile.  Jerusalem had been all but destroyed.   Virtually all of the leadership had been carted away to Babylon along with all of the articles in the temple.  The protective walls were knocked down and the gates were burned.  The city was basically in rubble.  The first 11 verses of this Psalm are verses of desperation and lament.  The people who were left in Jerusalem were a haggard lot at best and a depressed, dysfunctional mob at worst. 

I love the shift in verse 12.  It is as if during this rant of despair - Asaph pauses and says, "Yet God."  He describes how mighty his God is and the great things that He has done.  He acknowledges God's goodness and sovereignty.  

In verses 18-23, He calls on God to defend His own Name - to save the people for His honor.  Notice the shift in focus?  

There are times when my circumstances or even just the injustices I see overwhelm me.  There are other times when I can't make sense out of things that are happening in my own life.  

What a powerful thing to step back and say - AND YET GOD.  

It changes everything.  

He is the unknown variable in the equation of life. We typically think of life as:

My knowledge + my experiences + my circumstances = Life

God can actually turn that equation inside out or upside down.  He has no limitations or boundaries.  He is . . . He always has been . . . He always will be.  With Him in the equation, nothing is impossible.


He is Almighty God who restores what 
has been broken 

Who rebuilds what has been burned

Who brings light where there is darkness

Who brings beauty out of ashes

He is the One Who changes Everything.

And Yet God

No comments:

Post a Comment