Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Thankful Thursday - Who I Am

Who am I?  

Well, that is an age old question.  I was reading Judges 6-7 this morning.  This is the story of Gideon.  Gideon is in the promised land, but his people have been disobedient to the Lord in multiple ways, including worshiping idols.  As a result, they find themselves oppressed by their enemies.  Gideon is actually threshing wheat in a wine press - in other words, he is hiding out.  He is afraid and no doubt, very discouraged.


An angel of the Lord comes to him and says, 
"The Lord is with you, valiant warrior."  

I'm pretty sure that Gideon looked all around the room and wondered who in the world this angel was talking to.  He was fearful, young, from a small tribe and hiding out so that the enemy wouldn't notice him.  Words like "valiant" and "warrior" were not even on his radar.


I've always been fascinated with this story because Gideon asks for numerous signs from the Lord that what He is being told is actually from Him and will take place.  The Lord does every one of them - without scolding him.  The Lord seems happy to confirm and reaffirm His word to him over and over.  All along the way, He is building Gideon's faith and readying him for the task ahead.


Gideon is asked to take down his father's altar to Baal.  I'm wondering if that was scarier to him that attacking his enemy.  Oh, starting at home.  That can be the toughest place to start.  Then, Gideon is told that he will be conquering the Midianites.  The spirit of the Lord comes on him and he raises up an army of 22,000 men.  God tells him that is too many - I love that.


Through a series of tests, the army goes from 22,000 to 300.  God says, that will do.  Gideon works his plan and victory is theirs.  With only 300 men, there is no doubt that the victory was the Lord's and not man's.  

Valiant Warrior - well, that turned out to 
be precisely who Gideon was.  


Like Gideon, I see my weaknesses and faults far more quickly than I see who the Lord intends for me to be.  Perhaps it is because He sees me through the righteousness of Christ.  He sees all that I can be and all that He intends for me to be.  He knows that the things He calls me to do are done in His power and not mine.  He challenges me to believe that I am who He says that I am, even if I don't immediately recognize it.


I am thankful that my God sees me as His child. 

I am thankful that He has plans and purpose for me.  

I am thankful that He will complete the good 
work that He has begun. 

I am thankful that who I am rests 
in His very capable hands.

What are you thankful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment