Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Friday, December 16, 2011

Thankful Friday - Consuming Fire

Thursday was another travel day for me - so I waited until this morning to sit down and write.  Alan and I drove from TX to CO yesterday, watching the temperature drop and the snow begin to show up.  This is what I saw when I looked out my back door this morning!

Seriously!  I could stop writing right now and that would be more than enough to be thankful for!!

I have been reading through Hebrews in this last week and when I read this verse, I thought - Wow - I am so thankful for this truth!

Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us show gratitude, by which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe;  
FOR OUR GOD IS A CONSUMING FIRE.
Hebrews 12:28-29

Our earthly kingdom is often shaken - literally and figuratively - things happen every day that disrupt our lives, disturb our spirit and realign our plans.  Nothing is as it seems.  Just when things appear to be moving along "normally", we are thrown a curve ball and are left shaken.  ONLY God's kingdom is stable, secure and strong.
What is acceptable service?  I'm not sure and again, I confess that I am not a Bible scholar!  But, I think it needs to be service that God has initiated or called me to do.  It needs to be done for Him.  It needs to be done with the right motivation and the right heart.  It needs to be done with an attitude of gratitude and reverence for Whom I am serving and awe because I have the privilege of serving - all for God's glory.  

Do you consider your service in that light?

I love the imagery of God as a CONSUMING FIRE.  It is such a powerful imagery.  On the earth, fire destroys and even takes lives.  In minutes, forests are set ablaze and homes are destroyed.  Having said that -  we are also captivated by it.  We love gazing at campfires and are drawn to sit by the fire in our fireplace.  I suppose that fire under control is the most satisfying.

In God's kingdom, fire consumes what is worthless but it purifies and refines what is of God.

I am thankful for the refining process of God in my life.  It is ongoing and He is faithful to burn away what is not of Him and refine those things that make me more like Jesus so that He can use me to further His kingdom.  In this case, fire is not under my control - it is a work of God.  It is a humbling and amazing process.

Do I remember that Jesus, my friend and Savior, is also a CONSUMING FIRE?
He is to be approached and served 
with reverence and awe.

Lord Jesus - may your refining fire continue to make me more like You.  I praise you for your unshakeable kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment