Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Monday Musings - Leaving Everything

I love reading a very familiar story and seeing it in just a little different light.  This week, I was reading Luke 5. 

One day the people were crowding closely round Jesus to hear God’s message, as he stood on the shore of Lake Gennesaret. Jesus noticed two boats drawn up on the beach, for the fishermen had left them there while they were cleaning their nets. He went aboard one of the boats, which belonged to Simon, and asked him to push out a little from the shore. Then he sat down and continued his teaching of the crowds from the boat.  When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Push out now into deep water and let down your nets for a catch.”   Simon replied, “Master! We’ve worked all night and never caught a thing, but if you say so, I’ll let the nets down.”  And when they had done this, they caught an enormous shoal of fish—so big that the nets began to tear. So they signalled to their friends in the other boats to come and help them. They came and filled both the boats to sinking point. When Simon Peter saw this, he fell on his knees before Jesus and said, “Keep away from me, Lord, for I’m only a sinful man!”
For he and his companions (including Zebedee’s sons, James and John, Simon’s partners) were staggered at the haul of fish that they had made. Jesus said to Simon, “Don’t be afraid, Simon. From now on your catch will be men.”
 So they brought the boats ashore, left everything and followed him. 

It must have been a long night of fishing without a thing to show for it.  Then, as they are cleaning their nets, Jesus asks if he can borrow their boat.  I'm sure they heard some of his teaching as they were cleaning the nets.  Perhaps they were curious - or perhaps they were hanging on every word.  Then, Jesus tells them to go out to the deep water.  As professional fishermen, they might have been a little annoyed at this suggestion.  After all, they had been fishing all night!   But, there was something about Jesus that made them give it a try.  Their reward was seeing an amazing miracle - the biggest haul of fish they had ever had.  Peter is immediately humbled as he realizes that this Jesus is more than he could have imagined.  I can only guess what kind of draw Jesus had as God embodied in man.  But even with that said, the next line is what amazes me.  After witnessing this miracle and having their greatest business success to date . . . they leave everything and follow Jesus.

So - I began to think about what that means to me.  

What does it mean in my life to drop my nets?   

A year ago, that meant leaving behind my family and friends and moving to Chicago.  It meant leaving the comfort of my church and finding the ministry that the Lord had for me in this new place.  But it is now a year later and I must ask myself again - what nets do I need to drop?  I do believe there are some next steps I need to take in some friendships where I have spent the past year building relationship and trust.  I think that other changes and challenges will come my way - and I must be willing to let go of the familiar and step into the unknown.

Am I willing to leave my "earthly" successes behind to pursue Jesus?

Am I drawn to Jesus more than to anything or anyone else?

Do I long to be a fisher of men?

Can I ask you those same questions?  What does it mean in your life to drop your nets?  Are you willing to leave your "earthly" successes behind to pursue Jesus?  Are you drawn to Jesus more than to anything or anyone else?  Do you long to be a fisher of men?

I know a lot of people who have said yes to each one of these questions and I admire them tremendously.  Some of them are caring for orphans in China - some adopting children - some ministering in foreign countries where sharing the gospel is dangerous.  Some are teaching school and some are out there in the business world.  Everyone's journey is different.  Everyone's nets of security are different.  Lord Jesus - please give me the heart of a disciple.  Give me a heart to love with abandon.  Make me a fisher of men.  

Dear Jesus - help me drop my nets and follow you 
without reservation.







No comments:

Post a Comment