Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Thankful Thursday - One child at a time

I have had a busy day with a lot on my plate, but the best part of the afternoon was going up to Hamilton to paint.  I'm working on Sherlock Holmes right now.  As I was painting this afternoon, I had the privilege of overhearing some of the 8th grade students being interviewed for a project that one of the teacher's is working on.  I heard 5 different interviews.  Here is what I learned:

*These students have a very different experience than what I am familiar with.  Most of them spend 1 - 2 hours getting to school using trains, buses and walking.  Most of them get up at 5:00 in the morning to get ready and get to school by 8:30.  

*School is their place of encouragement - not home or their neighborhood.  In fact, most of them spoke of their neighborhood as a dangerous and violent place.  They are so thankful that they can get to Hamilton (this is not a fancy part of Chicago) because they feel safe.

*They spoke of their education as being important and good.  They all mentioned how much their school has improved since they got their new principal - James Gray - two years ago.  One boy said that since Mr. Gray came, everything about the school is better, including the teachers.  

*They were asked how they saw their future - Without exception, they all saw their futures as bright.  They all aspire to go to college.  They are all excited about High School.  Isn't that amazing and inspiring?

*They were all thankful for the opportunity to go to school and for the teachers that have made a difference in their lives.  

I just wanted to cry listening to them.  I'm already asking God what He wants me to do to help.  How can I make a difference for these students?  

It is such an uphill battle for them.  I didn't have to overcome these kinds of things - my children didn't have to overcome these kinds of things.  We were not surrounded by violence or scared of gang activity.  We had a short drive to school - not a long string of public transportation that took an hour or more.  It was humbling and awe inspiring to listen in.

These students make me want to be better - to do better and to make a difference.  For that, I am very thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment