Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Monday Musings - About that attitude . . .

Well, I was really thinking about what to write and the Lord just kept bringing this to mind.  I'm going to admit that it wasn't really what I wanted to own up to - but I want to be obedient to what I'm learning in hopes that the Lord will use it to encourage someone else.

I have had a really bad attitude about a situation I've been dealing with for quite some time.  Outwardly - I was handling it pretty good but inwardly - I was NOT.  I wanted to be okay with that.  I mean, at least I appeared to be handling it well :-)  But . . . 

"Watch over your heart with all diligence, 
for from it flow the springs of life."  
Proverbs 4:23

"All the ways of a man are clean in his own sight, 
but the Lord weighs the motives."  
Proverbs 16:2

" . . . for God sees not as a man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."  
1st Samuel 16:7

Bottom line - just because I am going through the motions doesn't mean that I am being obedient to the Lord.  My heart needs to be in the right place.  This is not easy - even knowing in my head how very much the Lord has forgiven me and doesn't count my sin against me - I still find this hard.  I know that's ugly - but it is the truth.  I think that I was pretty attached to my bad attitude about this particular thing.  I even kind of liked it.  I didn't really want to let it go.  I honestly didn't want it to get better.  I felt justified in holding on to it.

I had been struggling with this for a good long time, but last Thursday, the Lord just said to me loud and clear - 

Chrisann - that attitude is sin and you need to admit it, confess it and let me help you overcome it. 

I kind of looked around the room wondering if anyone else heard it too!  It was that clear!

So, I am taking it one step at a time.  Imagine a mile long strip of some really great gripping velcro that is securely attached being pulled about 1 inch at at time. You know that sound - ssssssscccccccrrrrrriiiiiipppppp or something like that.  My sinful attitude is being ripped out a small stretch at a time.  I had babied it so long that the tugging and pulling is difficult.  I've lived long enough to know that it will be worth it.  

I want to be like Jesus - I really do.  I want to reflect Him accurately.  I want to shine with His light.  I want to love others like He does.  It is going to take some velcro ripping action and a whole lot more.  It is a process and I am willing to allow God to work on this until my last breath.  I can be stubborn about it, but I really do want it.  It is painful sometimes.  It is always humbling.  Let's face it - the reshaping of a heart is not easy.

You want to join me?  
Is there an attitude in your heart and life that 
is not glorifying to God? 

Maybe no one else even knows about it.  Maybe like me, it is your little secret!  

Are you willing to allow the Holy Spirit to transform that bad attitude into one that is like Jesus?

I encourage you to do so.  You will not be sorry.  Here's to all of our hearts looking more like Jesus.  If you want prayer in this area - just leave me a comment and I promise to pray for you.  You don't need to tell me any details - just that you need prayer about an attitude that you are harboring that is not Christ-like.  Will you pray for me?  I would really appreciate it.  I long for the "me" to disappear more and more and the "Jesus in me" to be more and more evident.  It all starts with the attitude of our heart.

1 comment: