Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Thankful Thursday on Friday -- Traveling Mercies

My Thursday was one long day!  I got up at 6:45 to get ready and load up the car.  I backed out of my garage in Chicago at 8:20 and headed to Lake Shore Drive to connect with I55 heading south.  I started in snow and 16 degrees and ended up in TX at 56 degrees!  In between - a lot of miles (about 1000!) and a lot of countryside.  

I drove through Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas.  I went through a few big cities and a lot of small towns.  I got to see a lot of Christmas decorations and the lights as it got dark.  I ate some pretty bad food and made really quick stops so that I could make it here in one day.  It took 15 hours - so I arrived at Ashley's apartment at 11:20.  I had thought I would stop and spend the night somewhere, but once this Momma got on the road heading for her baby girl - there was no stopping me!

Time in the car is good for reflection.  I thought a lot about how much my life has changed in the last several months.  I live in a new city, go to a new church and have a lot of new friends.  Basically, everything about my every day life is completely different than it was at the beginning of August.  When I stop and ponder all that has happened, I am overwhelmed with thankfulness.  

God has been so very REAL and so very PRESENT in every moment.   He has blessed my life in so many ways that I stand in awe of His goodness.  As I drove, I thanked him for so many people that have been added to my life.  I prayed for them by name and just gushed with thankfulness.  I prayed for a friend's son that is trying to get his life where he wants and needs it to be when I drove through his hometown.  I thought about God's character and all the ways that WHO He is makes my life complete.  As if God was spurring me on, I got to see an absolutely gorgeous sunset as I was driving into Oklahoma. (Yes - I did take this while driving with my phone camera!)



I listened to music off my ipod function on my phone the whole way down.  I listened to a mix for a good while, then to some great worship music and wrapped it up with Christmas tunes.  Quincy was navigator and traveling companion, although he slept most of the way!  He was one happy puppy when he was able to get out of the car and run around!


I was thankful for safety.  I had one trucker almost run me off the road (I was halfway on the shoulder!) - but I was okay.  I stayed awake and alert without any problems.  My car did great.  These things are important when you are traveling by yourself.

Arriving in Texas and seeing Ashley and getting to talk with her until the wee hours of the morning - a priceless treasure.  

Has God shown up in some unexpected places today? Has He blessed you in ways that you could not have imagined?  Here's hoping that you too will be gushing with thankfulness.  Blessings friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment